Drop chart or pocket pc?

Merlin

Hi Guys, I've been wandering about this for awhile, so i figured this would be the place to ask. Which way do you think is the best way to go, A drop chart that is laminated to be somewhat weather proof, or a pocket pc or palm pilot running exbal software. The charts I use are printed off of exbal on my home pc. Just wanted some opinions and reasons to back them up. Thanks.:confused:

I think once you have your load and the software synchronized it's just a matter of choice. I hunt within a 5 mile radius of my ranch with the altitude and weather being about the same as where I shoot for practice so a drop card works well for me and its faster when hunting. I have just been estimating the wind and I think I'm getting a handle on it. If you plan on moving around a lot while hunting the Pocket PC would be better I think. I have not used my pocket PC while hunting but if I was going to a location that is different than here I think it would be a plus. Try it both ways and I'm sure you will find that you prefer one over the other. Good luck.

Well since I've been using just a chart, I might have to get a palm and the software just to play around with.

Take both. One is electronic and can fail at any point. The charts can be lost or misplaced at any time so make more then one and tape one to the rifle and carry another in a pack or pocket.

That's good advice that's why I really like this site. Everybody here has their own ideas and you can read them then try what you think what will work for you!

I agree with taking both or at least take an extra backup chart.

Last year while deer hunting for 4 days 300 miles from home, I was carrying my detail charts for several rifles in my back pack. It developed a hole in that section of the pack and I lost the information. If it were not for the 25 mph winds I could have back tracked and recovered the charts. I had a basic elevation guide on one rifle, so you know what I hunted with the next 2 days.

Also, no I don't shoot long range in 25 mph winds, too risky for me. I would shoot out to 400 yards, but no more than that in that high a wind.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.