Pleased with my new barrel

hidesert

I had previously posted about possibly re-barreling my old .284 Win Ruger M77 tang safety:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/rebarreling-my-ruger-m77.176855/

Owning this rifle for 47 years it has accounted for several deer yet I've never been able to achieve sub-MOA accuracy - the best groups have been 1.25 to 1.50 inch at 100 yards despite bedding the action, free-floating the barrel and adding a Timney trigger.

At the end of June I sent it off to Pac-Nor Barreling in Brookings, Oregon to be re-barreled. I had initially considered a #3 Sporter profile but after reconsidering the weight increase and decided on a #1 Sporter profile but bumped the length to 24 inches. I kept it in .284 Win, Chrome Moly steel and went for the Super Match grade. 1 in 9 twist. Pac-Nor gave me an estimate of 10-12 weeks.

At exactly 10 weeks they shipped me back my re-barreled action. I gave it a cold blue and it took only minor sanding to fit my stock's barrel channel. I decided to try shooting it to determine whether it needed rebedding.

After breaking it in as per their recommendations I worked up a load based on Richard Frailey's excellent 2004 work: "Reloading the 284 Winchester for Accuracy" I ended up with exactly his best load - 48 grains of Vita N150 and a 140 rain Nosler Ballistic Tip. At 100 yards it repeatedly gave me 3 shot groups of 3/8 inch. This felt good!

Yesterday I was able to shoot at a 300 yard range. The result: 5 shots in 1.25 inch!

I am a happy camper. To have an old hunting rifle with a walnut stock come to life like this is just a joy.

Pac-nor did a re-barrel for me last year in 280AI. The turn around time was just what they stated. Emails sent were responded to within the hour. Gun shoots great out to 1000 yards. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

Very pleased with my Pac-Nor barreled 30-06.Shoots 1/2" or less at 100yds,3/4" at 200yds.28" barrel on my rifle,58.0grs of Accurate 4350 gets me 3030fps with 168gr Nosler Ballistic Tips.10 weeks there and back,I cannot really ask for better service, accuracy and price.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.