Please give opinins... new build with manners or modular folding stock,

R.C.Saul

First, some base info;
I'm about to rebuild a remington 700 in 243 shooting 85 - 105gr pills. I want the finished weight to be close to 10lbs. It's going to be used for everything from long range training, maybe some matches, to coyote, antelope, and deer hunting in Texas and New Mexico. Shooting will be offhand, and from a bipod. Obviously all this is based off personal preference, I'm just looking for outside opinions and experiences.

Now for the questions...
1. What length and contour barrel? I'm thinking 20" - 24" with a #4 or sendero. It will be fluted and then threaded for a suppressor (an additional 10").

2. I'm wanting a folding stock to make the rifle more manageable for packing, travel, and in the truck. I'm debating between manners tf1 or tf3 and something like the xlr industries tactical evolution stock.

3. Detachable mag or not??? Pros and cons? This is mainly pointed toward the manners stocks. If I go with the XLR, I'll do the DM.

First, some base info;
I'm about to rebuild a remington 700 in 243 shooting 85 - 105gr pills. I want the finished weight to be close to 10lbs. It's going to be used for everything from long range training, maybe some matches, to coyote, antelope, and deer hunting in Texas and New Mexico. Shooting will be offhand, and from a bipod. Obviously all this is based off personal preference, I'm just looking for outside opinions and experiences.

Now for the questions...
1. What length and contour barrel? I'm thinking 20" - 24" with a #4 or sendero. It will be fluted and then threaded for a suppressor (an additional 10").

2. I'm wanting a folding stock to make the rifle more manageable for packing, travel, and in the truck. I'm debating between manners tf1 or tf3 and something like the xlr industries tactical evolution stock.

3. Detachable mag or not??? Pros and cons? This is mainly pointed toward the manners stocks. If I go with the XLR, I'll do the DM.

Funny, I was looking at those same stocks just this morning. Not for the same reasons but...

I feel that a barrel profile #4 is too small to run a suppressor due to their weight unless you run it all the time and then it would be taken into account when you zero the rifle. You will most likely have a large POI shift between running a can and not. It can be accounted for and you will have to decide if it's plausible.

The Manners folders while giving you a manageable effect will not offer you weight reduction. Far from it. They advertise 4.5-4.8 lbs standard and 4.9-5.3 with a mini chassis. Your going to have a difficult time making your 10 lb projection.

I'm a fan of DBM's and they have the advantage of fast reloads but at a cost of more gear. I gladly pay that price.

I can't offer any info to the XLR chassis as I've never used one.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.