Pillar bedding, how are others installing them?

Alibiiv

I just started pillar bedding the stocks on my rifles and have a question about setting the pillars? After opening up the screw holes to 9/16ths for a 1/2 inch pillar, I hold the receiver in the stock with an Irwin clamp, put the pillar into the 9/16ths hole and then machine the pillars until they are level with the present depth of the inletted wood where the trigger guard sets up against. I do the same for the front pillar; hope this makes sense? Once both pillars are machined for height, they are glass bedded in place using some Brownell's stock bedding screws. Once the pillars are set up, the wood around the front pillar is clearanced as well as the barrel channel and wood around the recoil lug. From there I glass bed the entire barrel channel, free floating the barrel from 4 inches in front of the recoil lug with two layers of Brownell's plumber tape for clearance. Just curious if I ought to be machining the pillars to fit level with the floor plate and trigger guard, or should the pillars be machined so they are a little higher than the inlet?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.