Pics of Carbon Ring?

Boomer51

Does anyone have pictures of a carton ring, of describe what it would look like. I recently got one of the Teslong bore cams and it works great. I'm not sure what I'm looking for in regard to a carbon ring, though.

Thanks,

Jim

And what did you find worked the best for removing a carbon ring??
I soak an oversize patch with Boretech C4, stop the rod just as soon as you fell it enter the bore. Let it sit 5 minutes, rotate it some, pull out, re-soak, re-enter.
Then chuck the next size brush up in a drill, 6mm use 6.5 mm brush, put some C4 on the brush, give it a twirl.

Does anyone have pictures of a carton ring, of describe what it would look like. I recently got one of the Teslong bore cams and it works great. I'm not sure what I'm looking for in regard to a carbon ring, though.

Thanks,

Jim
What you should look for is right at chambers end there is a 45 deg angle leading into the bore. Should be sharp and decisive, it there is black buildup, that is a carbon ring.

That would be great! Thanks!

Jim
WIN_20191126_15_36_55_Pro_Moment_Moment.jpg

I have always used gm top engine cleaner but have recently tried boretech c4 carbon remover. Either with a few minutes of soaking and an oversized bronze brush (300 ultra cartridge I use a 338 bronze brush fr the neck). I'm sure there are better way but it works and gets the carbon ring out. I didn't have luck with only patches and soaking or nylon brush.

I'm having the same problem too deciding if I have carbon ring. T have the Teslog too but dont know what I'm looking at. I'm shooting a .22 Creedmoor and hear they are known for producing carbon rings , especially with RL-26.

more pictures please

I have found that a carbon ring looks just as it is stated a darker ring in the end of the chamber as it's transitioning to the bore . They maybe smooth or rough on the edges of them but will be darker then the surrounding metal .

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.