Carbon Ring Removal?

I was able to remove it with JB's but as tobnpr said above, that may not be my problem. Only a few loads will tell.

Untitled.jpg

Simple, easy, and not an expensive proposition:
The use of CLR sealed the deal for me. Most of the other stuff you've probably got on hand.
Good luck.

So do you think this could cause my loads to show pressure well below max.?

Interesting question.
We know that if the neck fails to seal shortly after detonation, you'll get carbon "blowback"/soot down onto the shoulder. Any evidence of this happening on your fired cases?

It would seem logical that if the buildup were heavy enough, so that it exceeded the thickness of the brass at the neck- it would impinge on the bullet just ahead of the end of the case. If there was no carbon ring in the throat, I think we can attribute the carbon buildup at the neck to this- something had to be causing it, right?

How did the leade look? The 6 Rem is an overbore, bit of a throat-burner like the .243. You said "new to you", I'd expect some fire-cracking unless there were very few rounds down the tube that weren't on the hot side.

Since you now have your borescope, it'll be easy to monitor on your next range trip (you can power with a small inverter if it's 120v).
Since it took only ten rounds, it's occurring very rapidly and checking after every round might shed some light on how it progresses.

Also, did you confirm your case length is no shorter than minimum and haven't been over-trimmed? The carbon buildup you're seeing is in the space where the neck will "grow". If cartridge length is at max, or close to it- there wouldn't be any room for carbon to deposit in the recess.

Let us know what you find.

Interesting question.
We know that if the neck fails to seal shortly after detonation, you'll get carbon "blowback"/soot down onto the shoulder. Any evidence of this happening on your fired cases?

It would seem logical that if the buildup were heavy enough, so that it exceeded the thickness of the brass at the neck- it would impinge on the bullet just ahead of the end of the case. If there was no carbon ring in the throat, I think we can attribute the carbon buildup at the neck to this- something had to be causing it, right?

How did the leade look? The 6 Rem is an overbore, bit of a throat-burner like the .243. You said "new to you", I'd expect some fire-cracking unless there were very few rounds down the tube that weren't on the hot side.

Since you now have your borescope, it'll be easy to monitor on your next range trip (you can power with a small inverter if it's 120v).
Since it took only ten rounds, it's occurring very rapidly and checking after every round might shed some light on how it progresses.

Also, did you confirm your case length is no shorter than minimum and haven't been over-trimmed? The carbon buildup you're seeing is in the space where the neck will "grow". If cartridge length is at max, or close to it- there wouldn't be any room for carbon to deposit in the recess.

Let us know what you find.
The lead and barrel looks very good after I got it cleaned (see below). There is a little fire cracking but not much. I never trim below minimum. I usually use a chamber length gauge but don't have one in 6mm.
Untitled.jpg

I have heard to plug your bore at the muzzle and fill it with Slip2000 and soak it for 24-48 hours. The Slip2000 is reusable as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.