Case removal

quigley257

Had a customer with a case head separation. After exhausting the usual methods(oversized bore brush/freezing with canned air) etc, we ended up using a tap sized to fit inside the case. We pressed the tap onto a piece of drill rod, inserted into broken case, turned it with vice grips until the threads started to grab, then gave the vice grips a gentle whack to the rear to dislodge the case body. This was 7x fired 300 PRC Hornady brass that was being bumped too much. Customer learned about case head separation and proper shoulder bump amounts. You can see the line on the other case that is ready to fail.
20221130_132801.jpg
20221130_132708.jpg

Nice work.

I had this happen last year. I ended up stuffing a portion of a cleaning patch into the top/neck of the case, then getting an epoxy stick and molding some small round pieces and stuffing them into the case. The patches help to keep any epoxy from getting past the neck into the barrel. I let the epoxy cure for about 4 hours, then took a cleaning rod and tapped it out. Worked slick.

definitely have to remember that one. never had one stuck that bad but you never know. some in my family like the old Enfield's in 303 British