Pendleton Composite Stocks

....It's been a long time, but I've seen wood split there on heavy recoil cartridges.
....Not defending the material etc. just curious if rifle has a brake on it. One of JE Customs slow motion videos shows a lot of flex in grip area.
....I hope it gets resolved for you. Rich Coyle had a problem, and it was resolved appropriately if I recall.
Yeah it's braked, and that load was a mild 2775 with h1000.
Hoping they make this right

Pendleton's customer service is shaping up to be really good.
They got back to me and said it's probably due to a bad bedding job around the tang and the stock is guaranteed for life, but if I prefer a refund they'll process it upon receiving the stock.
Well my particular stock had NO bedding anywhere besides right around the recoil lug.
Best of luck man.

Pendleton's customer service is shaping up to be really good.
They got back to me and said it's probably due to a bad bedding job around the tang and the stock is guaranteed for life, but if I prefer a refund they'll process it upon receiving the stock.

That was not caused by a "bad bedding job around the tang".. that was caused by a poor bedding job period. The action was not properly bedded, which caused the barreled action to move under recoil, which consequently caused the tang to come in contact with the stock. This is what caused the damage.

There's more to just throwing bedding under an action...

That was not caused by a "bad bedding job around the tang".. that was caused by a poor bedding job period. The action was not properly bedded, which caused the barreled action to move under recoil, which consequently caused the tang to come in contact with the stock. This is what caused the damage.

There's more to just throwing bedding under an action...
I agree with Joel. Like I mentioned my gun literally had 1" of bedding near the recoil lug and that's it. No bedding anywhere else. So under recoil from pressure and movement different parts come in contact and touches causing things to shift and could cause possible damage.. When I emailed Wayne why the bedding was half assed he replied that's how it should be and that's to save weight.
I've never had a gun bedded like that. Everyone of my guns shoot 1/4" MOA and they are all bedded with devcon from the recoil lug all the way thru the action back to the tang evenly. Just my 2 cents.
I will never use Pendleton stocks again.
There fit and finish work SUCKS

We'll S#!t
I shot a few rounds through my 7 wsm today with the new Pendleton stock and a big chunk broke off near the Tang!
I'm seriously concerned now, I'm going to try to get my money back. I doubt that'll happen though.
I've never seen a stock do this.
I'll keep you guys posted on their customer service.
---- I'm frustrated.
View attachment 129492
That looks like an MPI stock

ABE66B3E-14F1-4355-9A11-B5B2807F07B1.jpeg
915B233D-9C2A-45B0-BCF4-CCA5891C84A7.jpeg
0E600D7C-9DE6-48C3-BBA9-14A98D9FCA81.jpeg
4FD3E2EA-B36F-4F53-910B-03CA8525F7F5.jpeg
This is how my bedding work looks on every rifle/stock I send out.

"There's more to just throwing some bedding under an action..." That's the truth. Even Mc recommends a good bedding job under all heavy/sharp recoiling rifles. That break at the wrist is a "classic". I've seen it a bunch of times, more than once where it came into 2 pieces,,,,,, all because of poor or improper bedding. More and more people seem to want "drop-in" and that doesn't exist in the true custom firearm. Each action should be bedded as an individual. Having it bedded ahead of time to the "shop action" just doesn't make a lot of sense. Just look at those stocks with aluminum bedding blocks, even those need to be 'skim bedded' to insure proper contact with the recoil lug and to 'make-up' for the not so perfect block.

We'll S#!t
I shot a few rounds through my 7 wsm today with the new Pendleton stock and a big chunk broke off near the Tang!
I'm seriously concerned now, I'm going to try to get my money back. I doubt that'll happen though.
I've never seen a stock do this.
I'll keep you guys posted on their customer service.
---- I'm frustrated.
View attachment 129492

That crack/chip is either a poorly designed stock, bad stock materials, or the action shifted in the stock, indicating a not so solid bedding job. Could one, or any combination of these three issues.

If the rear guard screw is touching the back of the hole for it, in the stock, it will act like wedge and work like one, too. Makes the case for aluminum pillars with sufficient clearance for the screws and the recoil lug properly supported with the bedding.

If the tang fits into the stock, you should make sure there is clearance behind the tang when doing the fitting. If the tang sets on top of the stock you don't have this issue.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.