Pawn shop find......

myshootinstinks

Mint, possibly unfired, Browning x-bolt hells canyon 300 win. Talley mounts, Vortex 4-24x50 hst, 30mm. $1k out the door. My only question would be, who needs that much magnification on a big game hunting rifle? Thats more of a target / varmint scope, great for prairie dogs. Im thinking maybe a Leupold cds 3.5-10. your thoughts?

You will like it 👍
If that one shoots as good as my Hell's Canyon 7mag you are really going to love it.
I have the Burris on mine and wish I had more magnification on it.

I agree.
My max power hunting scope is 15x on VX-5hd.
All others are 10 or 12 max and can shoot as far as I'm willing for hunting.
Also for hunting rifles…I don't care for larger than 44mm obj either.

Of course your 4x bottom end doesn't disqualify its usefulness at all ranges.
I read too quickly and thought it was 6-24x.

Great find! Best of luck with it!

Last edited:
Mint, possibly unfired, Browning x-bolt hells canyon 300 win. Talley mounts, Vortex 4-24x50 hst, 30mm. $1k out the door. My only question would be, who needs that much magnification on a big game hunting rifle? Thats more of a target / varmint scope, great for prairie dogs. Im thinking maybe a Leupold cds 3.5-10. your thoughts?

In some of the areas I hunt, bucks fight and break off tines. For this reason, I usually use a minimum of a 4x16 and prefer a 4 or 6 to 24x.

Hunting in different parts of the country is very different, open country vs heavily wooded areas. Personal preference and Looks also play a big part in your decision.

If you are riding around shooting deer out of the truck, I doubt if you will need a 4-24.

I need to start visiting more pawn shops. You can spend a great deal of $$$ on rifle scopes. Higher magnification doesn't have to be used, but can be helpful sometimes. I hope it shoots better than your forum name.😄
I have a Leupold 3.5-10 sitting in the safe. I got a great deal on it. It will probably end up on a 10/22 needing a better scope.

"who needs that much magnification?"....um, this is a Long Range Hunting Board. If you shoot long range, things look small when you are getting past 600yds especially if you are trying to check heads for button bucks vs doe like I do on conservation hunts. Judge bucks age or antler size Or just see small steel targets at 1000yds. 4-24x50 is ideal

sounds like a nice rifle.
James

Well worth it. You can sell the scope for $400 or so if you don't like it, and now you have a $1200 rifle for $600 end of the day

A couple of things for consideration:

The .300 Win Mag is a superb long range hunting and target cartridge. Given its ability to be used at longer ranges, a higher power scope can be useful whether for judging the details or for picking the smallest (best) point of impact.

On the other hand, there is a downside to the pluses:

Weight due to number of glass elements required to allow for this power range. We all have various opinions on how much power is required to assess our targets. Less power or smaller power range can reduce the overall weight of the scope.

Try the scope you have to determine if it's suitable. If not, trade it or sell it then look for the better replacement.

:)

Well, this is an LR/ELR hunting and shooting forum, so many of us use that and sometimes even higher mag.
If that isn't you cup of tea, then sure, go with a 3.5-10x or whatever. YMMV

Useless without pictures.gif