Paper tuning question.

leagle77

I have some really basic questions that didn't seem to be addressed elsewhere in the forum. I'm new to crossbows but have some experience setting up compund bows. Because the nock point is "fixed" on my TAC15i, am I correct in assuming that all paper tuning adjustments are done with the rest? Years ago I used a 6 Ft compressed bale of styrofoam (rejects from the local solo cup factrory) as a back stop during paper tuning. I no longer have the bale and don't have access to an indoor range. Can I paper tune using a low frame in front of a "block" type target from the prone position using a bi pod? Any suggestions for a better set up as a back stop? Thanks for any advice.

Leagle77 -

For the backstop, I used the Yellowjacket Crossbow Target. It works great for field points and I use a Rhineheart Block for broadheads.

I have a small shed I built which has straw bales in the back and the target suspended from the ceiling so the center is about 4 ft off the ground. But you could rest the target on the ground if you have plenty of room behind the target for an errant arrow !!

I shoot from a sitting position resting the x-bow on the back of a bench. I have also shot from the prone position which for me is the most solid.

I built a paper hanger from PVC pipe that I setup about 5 ft in front of the rest. It is about 24" square and I tape some paper to the sides.

As for Paper tuning you only have 2 options available to change. The knock position for Horizontal adjustment and the Whisker biscuit rest for Vertical adjustment.

Since the rest is fixed in a horizontal plane, you have to move the knock point. To do this slide the "D"-Loop a little left or right to center the arrow in the channel. I was able to Eyeball this. There is also a little piece inside the D loop that you can spin around which will make fine adjustments. Once you have this correct Jon recommends sewing this into place so it does not move. (Good suggestion, but I have not done it yet)

Then you can adjust the whisker biscuit up or down to adjust the vertical. Remember to move the rest opposite of the tear in the paper so if the field point hits the target and the shaft tears in a downward direction you would move the rest up.

I stripped the fletching off one shaft to paper tune with. Once you have a bullet hole in the paper you are good.

Hope this helped.

WildWillie

Do you live in MD ? I think it is a solo plant here in Owings Mills by my house. It used to be a Sweatheart cup factory.

Last edited:
WW, thanks for the ideas. I hadn't thought about suspending the yellow jacket target and I didn't realize that the nock was moveable. I live in Sussex County, De and the solo cup factory was over in Federalsburg, Md. The bales were in such demand by archers that there was a waiting list for their "trash".

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.