Painting a stock

I followed some of Lance's advice on the Testers paints and the clear and it came out awesome for me . I did have a old stock to test colors and applications. I didn't want to make any mistakes with my Manners lrh . It did give me the opportunity to test colors and pick the combo I liked. I ordered the stock in midnight camo and added everything else .

Attachments

• 20240205_161256.jpg
    20240205_161256.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 95
  • 20240309_163321.jpg
    20240309_163321.jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 100
Oh yeah I like it. I just ordered a Pure Precision carbon stock for a Savage long action and am anxiously waiting for it . Those guys are awesome to work with they had me measure everything before hand , I absolutely recommend them

My first attempt at sponge painting using rust oleum. I decided not to use a clear coat but it's held up well. Not nearly as fancy as others but definitely better than the black it was. I may get a little more creative on the next one.
Looks pretty neat for a first attempt 😊

Any suggestions on who to send a manners stock to get a paint job? I've got a flat black stock and would like camo on it.
I might suggest trying it yourself. I researched it thoroughly on YouTube, (lots of how-to there), & did my first snow camo myself. Surface-prep is important as is using good paint. (I did my stock only - no metal).
To use sponges, stencils & various colors just sort of "think backwards" to achieve your desired end result. When I finished I applied several clear coats, (flat, not gloss), for added durability. I really enjoyed it & it looks great.

Following with interest. I have several rifles with plain black Tupperware stocks that I'd like to enhance. A few comments stress the importance of good prep. What is the recommendation here?

If you are a bit OCD, want a specific detailed pattern or freak out with a scratch or two, it's probably best to send out for a professional job. However, if you are looking at reducing the signature you can easily accomplish that on your own. Practice on a piece of wood or something similar to ease any anxiety. I used Aervoe spray paint, but they no longer make military colors. Pretty simple process really. Degrease with a cleaner, remove or mask anything you don't want to paint, then apply light coats going from light to dark colors. You can use a stencil from online. I normally use a small repair section for Army camo net. I lay it over and hit random spots, then move the stencil until I get the coverage I want. Don't try to fill every hole. The entire process takes about 30min. Its quick, easy to touch up and I would say durable enough for most use. If you don't like it, its also easy enough to strip off.
IMG_0363 2.JPG

I have painted 3 stocks(all were High Tech Specialty)(Bansner).
Used "Illinois Bronze" Wrinkle Finish, comes non slick wrinkle as it dries.
The only colors that I have used are black,grey,&forest green!
You could probably get stencils and try to get creative,but I just striped it!

Any suggestions on who to send a manners stock to get a paint job? I've got a flat black stock and would like camo on it.
I went with Greg Ballard with http://ontargetcustoms.net/ with 2 of my rifles he does a fabulous job.
I have painted rifles myself and they hold up just fine too, totally depends what you're looking for.

Attachments

• IMG_9636.jpeg
    IMG_9636.jpeg
    223 KB · Views: 51
Mason base coat clear coat is what I use. I have done. A lot of work for competition sporting clays shooters. Also check out filming or wrapping the stock. There is some great camo patterns out there

Mason base coat clear coat is what I use. I have done. A lot of work for competition sporting clays shooters. Also check out filming or wrapping the stock. There is some great camo patterns out there
That is Nason