Pack Goats

For being 69, hauling a 375 AM, and hunting elk. I'll cut you plenty of slack.:) I've been reading some of your posts and i must say your are hilarious!!! :D

Another trek out back w/the kids.

Let me say right off...I wish I would have discovered this way sooner.

I can't recall a more pleasant stoll though the sage brush, fences and russian olives.

Came up with an innovative idea for crossing fences. Fences out here are sloppy to say the least. The posts were planted probably a century ago along w/the wire.:) Minimum effort is expended keeping them maintained.

I constantly carry an expandable camera monopod. Its used as a walking stick, at times, and a steady rest for binos and range finder. There is a leather covered aluminum plate mounted on top. It works very well. (one of my better ideas)

The monopod is now a fence crossing gizmo. The larger the space between fence posts the better it works.

Here's the gizmo installed with the first goat coming through.

FenceTactic.jpg

Once the first goat goes through the second or rest of 'em are a natural.
GoatsThruFence.jpg

WE crossed through a space in a gate and discovered a way to healthy stand of Canadian Thistle. I wacked a bunch of the stuff with the machete. The goats just hung out.
ThistleCutting.jpg

Got tired of that and walked about a hundred yards and saw a sight that changed my attitude regarding hunting yotes in the summer.

What I thought was 6 deer were flat out running through tall grass 250 or so yards away. The ran from my left to right into a large stand of russian olive trees.

Why were they running so hard a 7:45 in the morning? I checked the wind and headed in a direction that could possibly result in a sighting. I went maybe 50 yards and here comes doe with two fawn running belly to the ground. Very close behind the second fawn was one hell of a large yote. Immediately came another coyote and doe. This doe was doing the stooping thing giving me a good look at her. Beautiful brown mule deer.

This second yote spotted me getting my binos into action and turned back. Then stopped. I moved to the right from behind a tree to get a better look. It stopped a gain and turned towards me. Strange looking yote. Taller than what I'm used to. The tall grass would nearly hide what I'm used to seeing. The first yote, on the tail of the deer, looked to be nearly as large as the deer. The one that stopped was certainly an unusual collar pattern. Plus being taller than the grass, I'm wondering what the heck we have here. I'm certainly gonna find out.

I'm thinking a bleating goat would be a great decoy and caller.:)

Here's why goats are the slowest going of all the pack animals. When they spy a delectable morsel they are all over it. However, they quick lolly gaggin' when I get a certain distance ahead of them or get out of their sight.
GoatsMunchin.jpg

Roy thanks!!!
I am having a ball reading this thread. And actually start thinking about a project like that in the future.
Keep it coming.

Wow, I've never before been the "chosen one!.:D

I guess those goats are bringing me luck.:D First thing in the morning, I'm buying a lotto ticket. Wished I'd have got the goats "before" i put in for the controlled hunts.:rolleyes:

Got the email.

Address is:

Randa Enterprises LLC
42 South 200 East
Blackfoot, ID 83221

Or do I have to drive to TX to pick it up?:)

Roy, I sent it again. You were chosen to write the shooting rest article.

jmden,

Gettin' along great! The little suckers are growing like weeds! They are great to have along on a hike. Self feeders, carry no feed. For an over nighter I bring two cups of oats as I can't figger how there is any nutrition in what they eat. They pass on all the good lookin' green stuff and go for the trash.:rolleyes:

Its too hot to do much after 9 or 10 am but the temp as the sun came up this morning was 56*. Gives me enough motivation to take them out back for use as caller/decoy for some deer chasin' yotes. We'll see how I feel about it in the morning.:rolleyes:

Not a patient fella. It's gonna take a couple of years for my two little guys to get to where they will be able to pack any weight at all. Thus. . .

Brought a full size Alpine doe home this afternoon. Once she gets used to the new surroundings I'll finish the pack saddle and riggin' and head for the hills.

Somehow I think the goat folks took advantage of a noobie in both of my deals. The first two were two were supposed to be 100 pounds. That was a month ago. The tape out at 75 and 85.:rolleyes:

This new one, a 3 yr old, front knees click like a train car with a flat spot on one wheel.:rolleyes: I guess I call this one MRE-3:)

Just got back from a pack outing :D:D. Saw elk, mulies, moose, and miles of spectacular country. Caught something like fifty fish in an afternoon.

Let's see the new goat and the pack fixins!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.