Pacific Tool & Die Reamer

Eric H

Do anyone have a copy of the PT&D .243AI reamer print? If so could you forward a copy please.?

Thanks

Last edited:
Usually when specifying a non SAAMI reamer PT&D requests "your" print.
I suppose contacting them directly would be best but be prepared.
Know your terminology and requirements.
There are many discussions here and elsewhere about lead, throat, shoulder angle and placement specific to the 234AI.
How much taper to be taken out of the body?
Shoulder location and angle?
How much freebore or leade? (do you intend on using heavy for bore or all copper monos?)
Angle into the rifling?

The major questions recently are driven by heavy for bore or copper bullets and the 30 degree vs 40 degree shoulder.

Then there is the whole getting dies for it thing. Do it all at the same time if you can. If you are in possession of a .243AI already and know or suspect it was the work of PT&G they are the only ones to talk to. The only other option is someone that will make dies from a chamber casting or fired brass. Unfortunately I have no recommendations for this type of custom die because I've built my own for so long.

Already had barrel made from Mcgowan but they said they rented from PT&D and it's strange they have no print as they said.

So you're at chamber cast and COW fire form loads to find out what you have.
On mystery chambers like this I chamber cast first and then attempt to chamber a fired factory case that has been "smoked" dye-chemed, or sharpied. If all looks well at this point I'll assemble several Cream Of Wheat fireforming loads into cases that have had the upper two thirds annealed. I'll then use these cases , neck sized, without annealing, then fired a second time, to create sample cases for a die manufacturer.

Depending on the die manufacturer it will be a boring operation or they will create a reamer.
The recommenced full length sizing die dimensions for a particular chamber vary according to caliber, use, hearsay, opinion and voodoo.

I create the shoulder angle and radius on the cutting tool and adjust for taper on the compound.
For longer cartridges a taper attachment is needed. My eyes and tools are not up to building reamers and my one local option for custom reamers locally has retired. I stick to straight wall reamers and short actions now. I wish I could help but I haven't taken on work in 20 years.

Recent Posts