outfitter:tv show

skeeterboud

with the 5000 outdoor hunting shows(no complaint, as I have a few I record all new episodes), many visiting the same outfitter, how frequently do you think the outfitter reserves the best spots/trail cam promise areas for the tv shows?

always been diy hunter, but would like to start booking some trips up north/canada

Being involved in that industry for over 15 years now I can tell you this. There is no coincidence that the big name TV host shoot some of the biggest animals that those outfitters have ever harvested. If they are an established outfitter those hunters are paying a premium to hunt that animal. If its a start up operation they more then likely are trading air time for the hunt. And there are outfitters out there that have made a name for them selves and no one gets a free hunt because they don't need the advertisement.

Nothing personal about the hunting show industry. WIll not hunt with outfitters that give hunts to the hunting shows. It is a great advertising tool for the outfitters but a lot of good clients have been run off due to the free hunts for free air time. Plus cameras being throne up in your face.

I met a well established guide from a popular western state for hunting on a San Diego vacation. He offered a hunt to a host of a show on Pursuit Channel. His offer was refused stating the hunt area had inferior trophy quality. The host was not very gracious about his reply said the guide. I have seen some hosts go home empty handed, so there must be some shows with unstaged hunts out there. Might mention there are some flaky guides and many darn good ones. Do your research and check referrals prior to forking over your cash. Good luck on your first guided hunt.

skeeterboud;1103298 said:
TV aside is this your question? Put some parameters (species, trophy quality,cost) and it's likely you'll get some useable info from folks that don't have a commercial interest

One thing I have done is use the Cabela's Outdoor Adventures...they do the screening and weeding out of the bad apples. The consultants will gladly talk to you for however long is needed to find the right place for you - quality, quantity, size, cost, etc. I usually talk to them, to find out the name of the outfitter, do some research and thinking, ask some more questions, and repeat until I find the right place. I'll be going on my third deer hunt through them this year.

I haven't been steered wrong yet. What I like about it is that they are not wedded to any specific outfitter, and the way they get repeat biz is by delivering the type of hunt you want with reasonable pricing as opposed to convincing you to go to a certain outfitter. And the website has a ton of options that you can look through to get an idea of cost or various trips even if you don't use COA.

They also allow for flexibility...I applied for a few NM muley/elk tags, and booked a deer hunt at the same time. If I drew a NM tag they would just push the deer hunt out by a year with no penalty....I have been very happy so far.

My best research tool has been to read all of the hunting mags I can, like Muley Crazy, Western Hunter and the rest. If I see an outfitter turning up year after year with animals I like i then call and talk to that outfitter. I am mostly a DIY guy so I've only been on a few guided hunts so that may help my average. A few years ago I contacted a guide in Nevada as I wasn't drawing a mule deer tag and had quite a few points built up. This guy seemed to be in one or two mags with big deer every year. I called, liked what he had to say and started putting in with him. Long story short, I drew, didn't kill and had one of the BEST weeks of hunting ever and can't wai to get back. You do need to have a BS gauge when talking to these guys.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.