Out of Time: Savage FCP 338 Lapua Ammo Suggestions for Elk

Farmerbeau

Howdy,

I was forced to get a new rifle (Seriously.) and I think I went overboard a bit for this hunt but my overall goal is long range hunting. This coming October, I'll be happy with anything inside 450 yards. This will be my first elk so I won't be looking for crazy distances on this hunt so the closer the better IMO.

With my extremely busy oilfield schedule, I don't have the time or equipment to work up a load for it in time for my hunt in mid October. I have about 3 days off next week to go to the range so I need to get the rifle broken in and shooting true during that time. I don't know when I'll have off next prior to the hunt.

My rifle is a Savage 110 FCP HS Precision chambered in .338 Lapua Mag and I have about 60 rounds of that cheap Sellier & Bellot ammo to follow Savage's break in procedure but I'd like to have the option of some ammo that's known to be accurate in this rifle as I won't have time to wait for and shoot new ammo in the mail. I'm a believer in getting what you pay for so I don't have a ton of confidence in the accuracy of the $2.50 a shot S&B ammo over the other stuff that costs $5-7 a shot. I just don't want to buy 5 boxes of random expensive ammo and have them group a minute of coffee can at 100' yds.

Does anybody with the same rifle (110 FCP or 110 BA) have any accurate factory ammo suggestions that can put me in the kill zone at 450 yards. Any extra info about group sizes at specific yardages and any thoughts on past experiences with other factory ammo such as ammo that absolutely sucked, are more than welcome.

Thanks for any and all help,

Beau

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts