Our Next Generation of Shooters

It warms my heart to see you guys getting the youngsters involved. My dad bought me my first gun with I was three, started shooting at four. (Still have the gun) As an adult I found another one just like it, Winchester 1903. This is a photo of my boys with the guns. Scott and John.jpg

Somewhere, I have a picture of me on his shoulders at 2yo out deer hunting.

I bought both of my Grandsons guns while they were in their Mom's tummy.

Here they are shooting there guns.
DSC04224.JPG DSC04217.JPG DSC04221.JPG

Randy

I would like to invite anyone in Southern California to our Youth Expo next Saturday.

I belong to the Compton Hunting and Fishing Club, est 1946, here in So Cal.

A few years ago, we started the CHFC Foundation, a 501C Foundation. The foundation is dedicated to introduce youngsters to Hunting, Fishing, and Shooting.

Some of the activities we do every year is a Youth Pheasant Hunt at Fort Tajon, Fishing Trips, and shooting trips at our Ventura property (195 acres of privet land).

This foundation operates on donations from organizations like FNRA, Rocky Mountain Elk, Daisy, Buck Knife, Pelican just to name a few.

Next Saturday is our Annual Youth Expo held at our club. (Flyer Attached)

There will be all kinds of events for the kid, BB Gun Range, Daisy BB Rifle Raffle, Archery, Birds of Prey, First Aid, Casting Ponds, Rubber Bandy Gallery, Quail Call Making, Child Safety, Safari International Sensory Trailer, Face Painting, Snow Cones, etc. More listed in the flyer.

Free lunch is included.

So if you are in So Cal and can make it, promise you have a blast. I know all the kids do.

If you plan to attend, please pre-register. This is to help us plan for food.

Remember guys, if we don't get our kids involved, our sport will die. Especially here in California.

I have have a huge background in Scouting. As a Scout leader, I always had a saying for the boys, "Always have something planned for them to do, if not, they will find something to do, and it is usually the wrong thing!"

Get your kids involved.

If you have any questions, feel free to call me or email me.

Randy Tidwell
562-682-6997
[email protected]

Attachments

• Youth Expo 6-29-19.pdf
    282.1 KB · Views: 25
I would like to invite anyone in Southern California to our Youth Expo next Saturday.

I belong to the Compton Hunting and Fishing Club, est 1946, here in So Cal.

A few years ago, we started the CHFC Foundation, a 501C Foundation. The foundation is dedicated to introduce youngsters to Hunting, Fishing, and Shooting.

Some of the activities we do every year is a Youth Pheasant Hunt at Fort Tajon, Fishing Trips, and shooting trips at our Ventura property (195 acres of privet land).

This foundation operates on donations from organizations like FNRA, Rocky Mountain Elk, Daisy, Buck Knife, Pelican just to name a few.

Next Saturday is our Annual Youth Expo held at our club. (Flyer Attached)

There will be all kinds of events for the kid, BB Gun Range, Daisy BB Rifle Raffle, Archery, Birds of Prey, First Aid, Casting Ponds, Rubber Bandy Gallery, Quail Call Making, Child Safety, Safari International Sensory Trailer, Face Painting, Snow Cones, etc. More listed in the flyer.

Free lunch is included.

So if you are in So Cal and can make it, promise you have a blast. I know all the kids do.

If you plan to attend, please pre-register. This is to help us plan for food.

Remember guys, if we don't get our kids involved, our sport will die. Especially here in California.

I have have a huge background in Scouting. As a Scout leader, I always had a saying for the boys, "Always have something planned for them to do, if not, they will find something to do, and it is usually the wrong thing!"

Get your kids involved.

If you have any questions, feel free to call me or email me.

Randy Tidwell
562-682-6997
[email protected]
Good on your sir! That is truly awesome!

So I have loved guns my entire life. My father was not huge into guns but however was a true outdoorsman and hunter. He didn't have a large collection of guns but every one of them had a specific purpose. My little boy is now 5 and I have him three guns already and would like to get some better ideas of what u guys are getting for your kids to get them interested in shooting and hunting and also guns for them to pass on to their kids. There is nothing like seeing a kid shoot a gun at a target and actually hit it where they were aiming, that smile and pride is simply contagious. I am so excited now that he is getting older to have a new hunting partner in the future!

My boy is 12 now - has 5 guns, most of which he saved up half the money for. He has a mossberg 20ga, a Ruger 10/22, a Savage 17hmr, Savage 110 Storm 223 and a 6.5 creedmoor. He is so proud of those guns - i think mostly because he worked for them and got to pick them out. The 6.5 creed has the zombie green boyds at one stock on it - not my first choice, but he thinks it is the coolest thing in the world.

Every time he comes on a hunt with me I make it all about him having a good time. Started out with easy stuff with lots of action - ground squirrels, rock chucks, jack rabbits etc and then moved on to bear and deer hunts on the ATV. My son absolutely love hunting. Went on what i would call our first real tough hiking glassing mule deer hunt last fall and he did awesome. Carried his own pack and gun and we got into some gnarly country and he didnt complain once.

I have seen the flip side with how my bro in law treats his son - he drags him out and expects him to be quiet and not complain and keep up with him and not ruin HIS hunt. His son hates hunting with him. Super sad deal. I decided I would rather sacrifice some trophy animals on a hard core hunt and just have fun hunting with my son.

we are doing a Wyoming antelope hunt this year and hopefully mix in some coyote hunting snd prairie dogs as well.

I still go on some intense more difficult hunts, I just leave him at home right now knowing he will be ready to go hammer it out in a couple more years.

My boy is 12 now - has 5 guns, most of which he saved up half the money for. He has a mossberg 20ga, a Ruger 10/22, a Savage 17hmr, Savage 110 Storm 223 and a 6.5 creedmoor. He is so proud of those guns - i think mostly because he worked for them and got to pick them out. The 6.5 creed has the zombie green boyds at one stock on it - not my first choice, but he thinks it is the coolest thing in the world.

Every time he comes on a hunt with me I make it all about him having a good time. Started out with easy stuff with lots of action - ground squirrels, rock chucks, jack rabbits etc and then moved on to bear and deer hunts on the ATV. My son absolutely love hunting. Went on what i would call our first real tough hiking glassing mule deer hunt last fall and he did awesome. Carried his own pack and gun and we got into some gnarly country and he didnt complain once.

I have seen the flip side with how my bro in law treats his son - he drags him out and expects him to be quiet and not complain and keep up with him and not ruin HIS hunt. His son hates hunting with him. Super sad deal. I decided I would rather sacrifice some trophy animals on a hard core hunt and just have fun hunting with my son.

we are doing a Wyoming antelope hunt this year and hopefully mix in some coyote hunting snd prairie dogs as well.

I still go on some intense more difficult hunts, I just leave him at home right now knowing he will be ready to go hammer it out in a couple more years.
Yeah I have heard of people like that before also. I am trying to be patient with my boy and not force anything on him. He loves guns now which is good but he may not like to hunt who knows but I do know I will not force anything on him. Everyone enjoys stuff until they are forced to do which then takes the fun out of it. Despite him having redneck blood rolling through his veins I will still love him if he does decide he don't want to be a hunter! (I guess) lol

So I have loved guns my entire life. My father was not huge into guns but however was a true outdoorsman and hunter. He didn't have a large collection of guns but every one of them had a specific purpose. My little boy is now 5 and I have him three guns already and would like to get some better ideas of what u guys are getting for your kids to get them interested in shooting and hunting and also guns for them to pass on to their kids. There is nothing like seeing a kid shoot a gun at a target and actually hit it where they were aiming, that smile and pride is simply contagious. I am so excited now that he is getting older to have a new hunting partner in the future!
Sounds a lot like me & my dad. My kiddos are young now, but I'm starting to plan a couple builds in my mind for them as they get older (aside from the obligatory .22).

I'm thinking of a chassis or maybe the Manners MCS-CS so that LOP can fit a young shooter and grow with them, probably a short-ish proof barrel to keep the weight down, and use one of my suppressors to make it more enjoyable for a new shooter. For the first centerfire, I'm thinking 6mm or 6.5mm variation for a light recoiling gun that could still be used on antelope or deer at moderate ranges.

Shooting and hunting are a big part of my life, but at the same time I want my kids to be their own person. If that means they don't want to shoot or hunt, then I'll just need to pick-up a hobby that they do like.

Yeah I have heard of people like that before also. I am trying to be patient with my boy and not force anything on him. He loves guns now which is good but he may not like to hunt who knows but I do know I will not force anything on him. Everyone enjoys stuff until they are forced to do which then takes the fun out of it. Despite him having redneck blood rolling through his veins I will still love him if he does decide he don't want to be a hunter! (I guess) lol
I have a 14yr old daughter who I tried to get into it and she never showed a lot of interest so I havent forced it. We are going to a Shawn Mendes concert together in August, so I guess it all evens out... lol

Last edited:

Great topic Remmy. I'm with you - my Dad was a hunter and outdoorsman. I've taken that from him and added on competitive handgun and long range shooting. I've turned my son on to shooting sports and hunting - my daughter is next. For now my wife has slowed that process, but my daughter's curiosity and desire to learn and accompany us on a hunt is un-deniable.

I have collected two each of .22, 9mm and .40 cal handguns for each of my kids (8 and 15) and on the long gun side .22RFs, ARs, .30 cal hunting rifles. This gives my son and daughter a foundation for their own collections and a variety of special-purpose shotguns and rifles for various game and competitions. All of our firearms + suppressors are in Trust. The kids are beneficiaries now, and will become Trustees upon reaching legal age. They will never have to divvy things up unless they want to - as Trustees, they can still swap back and forth as their tastes, needs or hunting seasons change.

My desire is that they will both get the hunting bug and hunt together someday, even after I'm long gone. Starting out on the right foot and having them both responsible to each other for the Trust on-going is my investment in their future opportunities.

So this is what I got him sir far. Glenfield mod 60 22LR, cool little squirrel in the stock. Second is a marlin limited edition model 3079 (336) 30-30 with neat deer in stock. Both of these were handed down to me when my grandfather passed. Last is a browning BPS 12 all scrolled up that has never been shot. Just a pretty shotgun! This is what I got so far! Need some ideas!
View attachment 138611 View attachment 138612 View attachment 138613 View attachment 138614 View attachment 138615 View attachment 138616
You need to get him something he can shoot now. Those are too long for him. I did same thing for my son. Had him pulling trigger at 3 and shooting by himself at 5. A Ruger 10-22 stock was too long. I got him a Chipmunk 22. Single shot. Very small. Has a nice oiled wood stock. Peep sights. Well made in Or.. He loved it. Then later the 10-22 and Marlin mod. 60. Then a TC 243 Encore. He shot one buck with it in Ut. then got hooked on my Ruger M77 SS 7 mag.. He shot 2 buck deer and one buck lope with it in Wy. He said it's his now. Lol

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.