Our Next Generation of Shooters

I started my 19 year old step son on a 22 when he was 5, then .223, then, .308, then .280ai, he started shooting shotgun and rimfire handgun competitions when he was 12 and saved up and bought his own Browning Citori when he was 16.
He has since bought several more and told me his collection is up to 12 guns now and he's very proud of that!!! He may not have my blood, but I'm afraid my influence runs deep.

My 10 year old son started on a bb gun when he was 3 and has progressed up his new LH Tikka .260. He loves old guns and classic looking guns with blued barrels and walnut stocks, he doesn't care for the tacticool stuff at all. Prairie dogs are in big trouble inside 200 when he's got my .17 in his hands, and he can ring a 4" gong at 200 with his .260 all day. Oddly enough, he love's recoil, he thinks it feels "cool".

To check for flinching issues, I get them all set up and comfortable, then I take the gun and load it for them and hand it back, but they don't know if I've actually put a round in the chamber or not. I'll do this with about 20% actually loaded depending if they are flinching or not. My 19 year old couldn't hit the broad side of a barn when he first started shooting his .308. I've run this drill with him dozens of times over the years, he's steady as rock now and can shoot some pretty impressive groups.

I've done this with my 10 year old as well, he just doesn't flinch so I don't feel the need to do as often.

Something to try if your having the troubles I was. I thought I was going to have to get Kaden in bow range with his rifle when we first started!!

29yo daughter who started with an air rifle and her granddaddy's Winchester 22 pump. Soon transitioned to S&W mod17 22 and Remington 870 youth in 20 ga and an Ithaca 20ga coach gun that was mine (soon retired when we discovered its value). Built her several prairie dog rifles starting with 22 Hornet and progressively up thru 244AI. She still shoots them all and several have been shot out and rebarreled! We built her first "big" game rifle together at age 12 (a 5#1oz 6.5/308AI) which she still loves, Built with 2 Brown Precision Stocks that allowed her to 11.5" to 13.5 lop. Has taken everything from coyotes to elk with it. Has her own large gun safe which is full. She has been reloading since she started school and has carried concealed every day since age 18. At 5'3" 115# and financially successful she still loves guns and hunting more than any woman I've ever known including my mother!
That's awesome !!! :)

I haven't read through all of these but I am definitely going to. My first rifle was a Marlin model 60 22 long rifle of course, with the tube under the barrel. My girlfriend has shot a few guns but has never actually owned one so her first rifle was actually bolt action Ruger I think it's called the 22 precision. Not confused with the rpr. I would honestly say that a very nice air rifle would be something to consider for him or for anyone. Low report no recoil ability to shoot in your basement or in the backyard without freaking out the neighbors has a lot to say for it.

For both my sons they each had a 22 cricket before they were 1 yrs old. Bought both of them their lifetime hunting and fishing license before they were 2 . Huge discount .
Both shot their 22 often but I believe the most fun each of them had was with my 204 Ruger at around 6 yrs old. Shoot my oldest son killed his first deer with it granted it was like 10 yards away . 9 yrs ago bought both of them H&R 223s in youth model one was 6 and the other was 5 , let them shoot them on and off all the next summer . Then handloaded some Nosler Partitions . The whitetail deer population has been on a downward spiral ever since lol. Not really but they generally kill a few each year .
At age 12 we bought them each a more suitable bigger centerfire. The oldest son got a 7 mm08 . And for the younger one he got a 260 rem. Since then both boys have pretty well tagged out each year, on deer and bear.
Last year the youngest young wanted to shoot his 300 win mag told him all I could as far as what to expect with the recoil . First shot he just looked up and grinned . He fired 5 shots with it last year and had 5 dead deer . The oldest son started shooting his 300 weatherby that was my dads this year and loves it to . Both my sons are very proficient shots and make me very proud.
I can attest to letting them go at their own pace and not pushing nothing on them . My oldest son would rather squirrel hunt than anything, granted he knows there is a whole lot more meat on a deer but he just loves squirrel hunting and I honestly don't care just so long as he loves what he's doing

That was my next idea actually was to get a 17 HMR, how quiet are those running a 22 suppressor?
I have never fired a suppressed round. The 17 doesn't seem any louder than a 22 mag. Recoil is nothing. I hit a ground hog at 425 yards, as my buddy had a range finder, but it took three more shots to walk it up to the ground hog. 150 yards on clay pigeons is easy fun. Savage bull barrel accutrigger was a bargain.

My boy is 12 now - has 5 guns, most of which he saved up half the money for. He has a mossberg 20ga, a Ruger 10/22, a Savage 17hmr, Savage 110 Storm 223 and a 6.5 creedmoor. He is so proud of those guns - i think mostly because he worked for them and got to pick them out. The 6.5 creed has the zombie green boyds at one stock on it - not my first choice, but he thinks it is the coolest thing in the world.

Every time he comes on a hunt with me I make it all about him having a good time. Started out with easy stuff with lots of action - ground squirrels, rock chucks, jack rabbits etc and then moved on to bear and deer hunts on the ATV. My son absolutely love hunting. Went on what i would call our first real tough hiking glassing mule deer hunt last fall and he did awesome. Carried his own pack and gun and we got into some gnarly country and he didnt complain once.

I have seen the flip side with how my bro in law treats his son - he drags him out and expects him to be quiet and not complain and keep up with him and not ruin HIS hunt. His son hates hunting with him. Super sad deal. I decided I would rather sacrifice some trophy animals on a hard core hunt and just have fun hunting with my son.

we are doing a Wyoming antelope hunt this year and hopefully mix in some coyote hunting snd prairie dogs as well.

I still go on some intense more difficult hunts, I just leave him at home right now knowing he will be ready to go hammer it out in a couple more years.
A lope hunt is the best to start them out on big game. Fun. Lots of animals to look at and put a sneak on. Not humping them up and down hills . They like it.

<SNIPPED STUFF> I also bought my 12 year old a S&W M&P 15-22 because they are fun to plink with and cheap. <SNIPPED STUFF>
I thought about just PM'ing you, but then thought others might have this gun, too, and need to read this. The Smith & Wesson (S&W) M&P15-22 has been recalled. Apparently some of them can 'slam-fire' and go full-auto. Yee-haw! But probably not very safe. Read up on it here:
https://www.smith-wesson.com/mp15-22-consumer-safety-alert
Excerpt: "STOP USING YOUR M&P15-22 UNTIL IT HAS BEEN INSPECTED AND YOUR BOLT REPLACED (IF NECESSARY).
Smith & Wesson has identified two M&P15-22 firearms from recent production on which the breech face counter bore depth was not within manufacturing specification. In those firearms, the lack of depth may allow the bolt, upon closing, to crush the rim of the case, causing the round to fire, cycling the bolt, and potentially resulting in multiple discharges without depressing the trigger."

So this is what I got him sir far. Glenfield mod 60 22LR, cool little squirrel in the stock. Second is a marlin limited edition model 3079 (336) 30-30 with neat deer in stock. Both of these were handed down to me when my grandfather passed. Last is a browning BPS 12 all scrolled up that has never been shot. Just a pretty shotgun! This is what I got so far! Need some ideas!
View attachment 138611 View attachment 138612 View attachment 138613 View attachment 138614 View attachment 138615 View attachment 138616
My son took a keen interest in Trap shooting. He ended up with the 870

I thought about just PM'ing you, but then thought others might have this gun, too, and need to read this. The Smith & Wesson (S&W) M&P15-22 has been recalled. Apparently some of them can 'slam-fire' and go full-auto. Yee-haw! But probably not very safe. Read up on it here:
https://www.smith-wesson.com/mp15-22-consumer-safety-alert
Excerpt: "STOP USING YOUR M&P15-22 UNTIL IT HAS BEEN INSPECTED AND YOUR BOLT REPLACED (IF NECESSARY).
Smith & Wesson has identified two M&P15-22 firearms from recent production on which the breech face counter bore depth was not within manufacturing specification. In those firearms, the lack of depth may allow the bolt, upon closing, to crush the rim of the case, causing the round to fire, cycling the bolt, and potentially resulting in multiple discharges without depressing the trigger."
Thanks for looking out! I already had it inspected and it was fine. We have never had any problems with it, but they get dirty quick. This is the only gun we own that gets cleaned after every outing. Thanks again!

My son took a keen interest in Trap shooting. He ended up with the 870
I saved up and bought a used, inexpensive, plain barrel (just a bead; no vent rib) Rem 870 in high school to shoot trap with, too. It was awesome. The firing pin broke but the gunsmith fixed it for $11 (this was the 1980s.) I broke my first 'perfect' round with that gun and couldn't have been more pleased. There were many fancier guns at the range that I always admired, but I learned that 870 could break the targets just as well. I wish your son the best of luck with his 870. He chose well.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.