OTC Bull Elk, Public Land, CO 2nd Rifle Season 2017 – My Story

I really enjoyed your write up. I had a question regarding rifle weight. I often see guys throwing ultra light builds together. Do you feel it would have made you a better hunter if you had a lighter rifle on this hunt? Again great write up, it looks like you have a good group of hunting buddys, that is worth its weight in gold.

Thanks for the kind words, y'all. I'm happy to provide some entertainment.

I often see guys throwing ultra light builds together. Do you feel it would have made you a better hunter if you had a lighter rifle on this hunt?
Hmmmm, interesting question ... an ultra-light scoped rig to me is 6lbs. My set-up is 7lbs. So, I don't think that 1lb would have made a difference for me. But the difference between a 6-7lb rifle and a 9-10lb rifle is significant in my eyes. But, if you're carrying the rifle on your pack, then it can be treated as any other item in your pack if you are only trying to shave weight. You can get a 2lb tripod instead of a 4lb tripod, or shave a couple pounds from your tent/sleeping bag setup - lots of ways to shave weight in your pack that might be cheaper than shaving weight from your rifle.
That being said, I was carrying the rifle by a sling, and that was a big PITA (especially with a backpack, the dang sling doesn't want to stay on your shoulder). The guide didn't want us to leave the rifle on our packs in case we jumped an elk and only had seconds to react. At 7lbs, it feels super light compared to my other rifles.
So, sheep hunters, backpack hunting 10 miles from a road, in the wicked terrain they hunt, yeah, I might go for a 6lb rifle. Otherwise, I feel a 7-8lb rig is "ultra" light.
And all else equal, it is easier to shoot a heavier rifle - less perceived recoil, less chance you will flinch, easier to potentially spot hits in the scope. The 6.5CM is a pretty light recoiling round. I wouldn't want to practice much with a 6lb 300WinMag.

Oh man, that's brilliant! My buddy was going to bend a coat hanger and use some duct tape, I was thinking more along the lines of 3D printing something like a hook. However, now I have a new idea!
knob1.jpg

Does anyone else see a $40 cabinet knob?? Much respect for the entrepreneurial spirit, but I'll head down to the local hardware store, pick up a round cabinet knob for $1-$2, and then find a washer to fit. Out the door for less than $5. :)
knob2.jpg

Last edited:
Oh man, that's brilliant! My buddy was going to bend a coat hanger and use some duct tape, I was thinking more along the lines of 3D printing something like a hook. However, now I have a new idea!
View attachment 87357
Does anyone else see a $40 cabinet knob?? Much respect for the entrepreneurial spirit, but I'll head down to the local hardware store, pick up a round cabinet knob for $1-$2, and then find a washer to fit. Out the door for less than $5. :)
View attachment 87358
Funny, my buddy repairs old furniture and that was the first thing I thought it looked like, his drawers full of wood knobs.

Last edited:
I guided for a ranch south of the country you hunted for about 20 years. Your story sounds like what I experienced from clients that live close to sea level, "there's no air up here!" I told my hunters to put a clothes pin on their nose and run bleachers to get ready to hunt in the high country! Congrats on a pair of public land bulls, that's quite an accomplishment. The trophy is in the hunt not the size of the rack...

"there's no air up here!"
The struggle was REAL! Honestly, it wasn't as bad as what I was expecting. Difficult under strenuous hiking, but pretty normal at a resting heart rate. I was worried I would be out of breath just being there.
I told my hunters to put a clothes pin on their nose and run bleachers to get ready to hunt in the high country!
And that's why I love this website! Will definitely do that before the next time I go out.
The trophy is in the hunt not the size of the rack...
Amen!

The struggle was REAL! Honestly, it wasn't as bad as what I was expecting. Difficult under strenuous hiking, but pretty normal at a resting heart rate. I was worried I would be out of breath just being there.

And that's why I love this website! Will definitely do that before the next time I go out.

Amen!

Great recap on your hunt. This is a bit critical and it could be just the flow of the description-but you lost some sportsmanship points and my interest when you described your follow up actions/decisions/shot after your first shot and neither the guide nor you or your friend knew if the same bull came out of the draw. Your guide should have stepped in and controlled the situation but it seemed like an adrenaline fueled heated and fast conversation. Ultimately it was the right decision though and someone finally put the bull down. Thanks for the equipment tips as well-first hand knowledge certainly beats out just seeing the gear in the store!!

So good story. Good on you to get out here.

When hunting out here (in the west) I would say there is a HUGE difference between a guided and self
Guided hunt. Hunting in a guided situation for a guy that is motivated and in mountain shape is as close to a guarantee as you can get. I would caution those that think this is attainable if you are not local and don't have a guide.

Just because you purchased an over the counter tag doesn't mean you hunted the same as 99% of the other over the counter hunters! I'm not hating on your experience but want to portray a realistic idea of what it takes to be successful in the west/Colorado!

Packing out your own deer or elk alone, researching the units, applying for the tags, scouting and successfully executing the hunt is an entirely different beast than what you are portraying! It reminds me of another post where an easterner stated that the need to carrying a pack and emergency supplies was not necessary as he was so close to the truck.

These are not realistic expectations!!!

If you pay for a guide, private land or other enhancing services; you have paid to cut corners and not hunt the same way as your peers! Honestly I'm pretty tired of these stories of "How to come out west on an elk hunt and be successful!"

If I paid to hunt on a high end, high fence whitetail hunt in Texas or Iowa, and shot a 215" whitetail....did I earn it or just pay for it? Same thing out in the west! Most that are not from here want the easy route. You gotta pay for the pain.

If you want to just hang a rack on the wall and brag to your friends then a guided hunt is perfect!

If you are the type to hit the "easy button" then get a guide to do all the work and you can take all the credit!

To me, it's like buying a prostitute! Out of your league but you can afford it!

True western success is EARNED NOT PURCHASED!

Nice story, but I have a question. If you were planning this for three years, why not build points in those years to be able to get a better tag? In the end it worked out for you and your buddy. Congrats

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.