Optic recommendations for Savage 110 6.5 PRC

Tommy Moffitt

I recently purchased the Savage 110 High Country in 6.5 PRC. The firearm will serve primarily as a hunting rifle for Louisiana whitetail deer and "other" North American wild game. I own several guns that range from 17 HMR up to 300 WM and the new 300 PRC. Our particular hunting camp here has shots out to 500 yds and I would like to venture out as far as 1000 if given the opportunity. Secondly, the firearm will be used as a long range target gun during the offseason with shots from 700 to 1000 yd. among the locals.

After speaking with a few of my friends and fellow hunters I've gotten advice that ranges between 3x18x50 to 6x25x50. My question to the members is what do the masses think regarding magnification, etc. Scope manufacture and mounting hardware isn't a big concern to me right now because I want to make sure I'm not over or under powered on magnification. Any advice would be appreciated and put to good use. Thank you!

Getting an illuminated reticle, particularly if the scope is first focal plane, can mitigate the problem of too much low end magnification for close in work. With illumination, you can shoot "both eyes open", and the bright reticle will function as a makeshift red dot. Even if your scope eye can't see very well, with the other eye open, the reticle is superimposed on the target. Even works with the front scope cover on.

For me, with an illuminated reticle, I find about 5X to be the maximum low end mag that I'd still feel comfortable using for "close and fast".

For maximum mag, the sky's the limit if you're looking to shoot 1000 yds, but I think 15X would be the lowest max mag for your desires. I'd figure out what you can tolerate at the low end, then choose whatever you can afford that has a 5X or greater total zoom (3-15/18, 4-20/24, or 5-25/30).

FWIW, my two hunting rifles run 5-25 scopes with illumination, but I hunt wide open fields, with almost no chance of ever taking a shot under 250 yds. That said, I've done a bit of practice, and have no trouble making a 50-100 yd, offhand snap-shot on a paper plate. Even tried it on 25X and with the front scope cover still on.

Perhaps you could get out with a something like a 3-9x40 on a 22 rifle, and just play around shooting close targets. Keep moving the zoom up till you feel that it's too much, and there's your baseline.

Magnification rule of thumb = 1x for every 100 yards

For hunting you're bettwe off with a lower powered lower end for wider FOV. a 6xsomething will not assist you inside 150 yards

Look at a 2-10 or 3-12 or 15

What's your budget? That determines a lot. And I personally think 16-20x is all you need out to 1000 yards. More helps, but you suffer at lower magnifications where you'll be using the scope a lot for hunting.

I'm a fan of FFP illuminated scopes and prefer them when possible over SFP. Budget isn't a problem, I'm a fan of Vortex and have the Razor HD AMG 6-24x50 on my Ridgeline 300 PRC. I picked this new gun up for a great price and will let my boys use it when needed as well.

I'm looking for an optic that has a FFP illuminates reticle, that has good glass and is a nice fit for a hunting/target rifle in 6.5 PRC. I'm certainly not trying to impress anyone and the gun will be used as often as necessary when the .243, 7mm-08, .270, .308 or the 300 WM is in use by someone else, loaned out or not sufficient for the task at hand.

Thanks again

Look at the tijicon Tenmile hx 3-18 the moa version is a 44mm objective the mil version is 50mm. Also look at the leupold mark5hd 3-18.

I recently purchased the Savage 110 High Country in 6.5 PRC. The firearm will serve primarily as a hunting rifle for Louisiana whitetail deer and "other" North American wild game. I own several guns that range from 17 HMR up to 300 WM and the new 300 PRC. Our particular hunting camp here has shots out to 500 yds and I would like to venture out as far as 1000 if given the opportunity. Secondly, the firearm will be used as a long range target gun during the offseason with shots from 700 to 1000 yd. among the locals.

After speaking with a few of my friends and fellow hunters I've gotten advice that ranges between 3x18x50 to 6x25x50. My question to the members is what do the masses think regarding magnification, etc. Scope manufacture and mounting hardware isn't a big concern to me right now because I want to make sure I'm not over or under powered on magnification. Any advice would be appreciated and put to good use. Thank you!

The 3-18 is ideal for your hunting/shooting situation. For your consideration >>> https://www.usoptics.com/product/ts-20x-2-5-20x-scope/

This is in my wish list >>> https://www.valdada.com/valdada-4-8-30x56-40mm-ffp-recon-g-2-moa-moa-xtreme-x1-illum/

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.