Optic help

I usually spend the $$ and put an ATaC on my rifles. It's a little overkill for some of them and obviously expensive. The 300 RUM and 6.5 PRC both have the 5-25x56. In hindsight, I should have went with a little smaller optic since they are on hunting rifles.
That being said, I have 6 other rifles I would like to outfit with a more affordable optic. 1000 yard shooting max on steel. Used mostly for hunting elk down to coyotes. I don't hold over. I dial. I'm really lost on the amount of optics out there and As far as price, here's what I've narrowed down too.
Bushnell Forge
Viper PST Gen 2
Leupold VX5
Sig Whiskey 5
Sig Tango 4
Burris XTR
Riton RTS
Athlon Cronus

I don't care about weight. My 2 concerns are optical clarity at all magnification and durability of turrets. If I didn't have so many rifles that needed optics I wouldn't bother asking, but it's a big decision having this many. Does anyone have some real experience with some, most or all? And other options as well.
I have the mk5 hd 3.6 x 18. Love it! Nice size and weight. Have multiple zeiss conquests and love them but most have mill dot ret. Dont rule out vx3 long range or mk 4 leopolds. All gr8 optics. I wont on a hunting rifle go over 50 mm obj, and like 44 better!

And i never miss the illum, prefer the wt savings!

yeah...my pst is an FFP (my only one) and the illumination comes in handy on low power so you can see the crosshairs in lower light or on dark backgrounds. And I really like the firedot on the Leupys...one is one my coyote gun, and I do a lot of night hunting. The little red do is nice - unnecessary, but nice.

yeah...my pst is an FFP (my only one) and the illumination comes in handy on low power so you can see the crosshairs in lower light or on dark backgrounds. And I really like the firedot on the Leupys...one is one my coyote gun, and I do a lot of night hunting. The little red do is nice - unnecessary, but nice.
I do like firedot also! That is my only illum ret.

Yeah I knew that was coming. I just don't have much experience with most of those scopes in that price range. I just heard good and bad about all of them from random people here locally so I figured I would go where probably the best information would be which is this site. I think the VX five HD is what I'm gonna be ordering. I just left a local sporting good store (pretty big one.) The one that gave Cabelas and BassPro a run for their money without mentioning their name...... and they said the Vortx PST is their most returned scope which is surprising they would share that because I thought they always got a kick back from selling so many of them. Anyhow, VX 5HD it is.
So.....
Sportsman Warehouse it is!

So.....
Sportsman Warehouse it is!
You wont be unhappy with vx5 hd, love mine on my 28 nosler. In africa as i write this, hunting, love it more every day! Just dont think you can go wrong with any of the mk leopolds. I havem all for differing applications, lv, v , vx6, mk 8. All great, but for hunting this vx5 3.6 - 18 is perfect size , wt and magnification. For a better deal than any store, call wayne york, the "Oregon Gunsmith", aak him for a price. Tell him Allan Baker, benchmark guy refered you. I think you will be pleased! I brought my bud here in south africa a vx3 long range 8.5-25 , that i got through wayne, saved $250 over midways sale price. If you cant find him send me a message at 425 422 0104, i will send you his number. Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.