Optic help

shooters

I usually spend the $$ and put an ATaC on my rifles. It's a little overkill for some of them and obviously expensive. The 300 RUM and 6.5 PRC both have the 5-25x56. In hindsight, I should have went with a little smaller optic since they are on hunting rifles.
That being said, I have 6 other rifles I would like to outfit with a more affordable optic. 1000 yard shooting max on steel. Used mostly for hunting elk down to coyotes. I don't hold over. I dial. I'm really lost on the amount of optics out there and As far as price, here's what I've narrowed down too.
Bushnell Forge
Viper PST Gen 2
Leupold VX5
Sig Whiskey 5
Sig Tango 4
Burris XTR
Riton RTS
Athlon Cronus

I don't care about weight. My 2 concerns are optical clarity at all magnification and durability of turrets. If I didn't have so many rifles that needed optics I wouldn't bother asking, but it's a big decision having this many. Does anyone have some real experience with some, most or all? And other options as well.

The Bushnell LRTS are better than most on your list. Glass is very good and the turrets and tracking are better than any listed ( with the possible exception of the last two, I've never owned either of those). Also, the G2 or G3 reticles are very good for FFP hunting scopes. They would definitely be my choice.

Looks like you are in the $1-2k range.
I would be looking at used scopes. You can get formerly $3k scopes for $2k. $2k scopes for $1200.
That opens up a whole new world of alpha glass at beta prices.

Trying to keep it between $600-$950. I've found all the scopes on my list in or around that price. Definitely not wanting to go above a grand.

I usually spend the $$ and put an ATaC on my rifles. It's a little overkill for some of them and obviously expensive. The 300 RUM and 6.5 PRC both have the 5-25x56. In hindsight, I should have went with a little smaller optic since they are on hunting rifles.
That being said, I have 6 other rifles I would like to outfit with a more affordable optic. 1000 yard shooting max on steel. Used mostly for hunting elk down to coyotes. I don't hold over. I dial. I'm really lost on the amount of optics out there and As far as price, here's what I've narrowed down too.
Bushnell Forge
Viper PST Gen 2
Leupold VX5
Sig Whiskey 5
Sig Tango 4
Burris XTR
Riton RTS
Athlon Cronus

I don't care about weight. My 2 concerns are optical clarity at all magnification and durability of turrets. If I didn't have so many rifles that needed optics I wouldn't bother asking, but it's a big decision having this many. Does anyone have some real experience with some, most or all? And other options as well.

ARKEN OPTICS EP-4 6-24x50 FFP
It's my new favorite in the budget range. Tracks and has 34mm tube. Clear glass. Parallax is like my PM2. Honestly the whole scope feels like my PM2 but for $600

the whiskey 5 is good scope for the money, I have two, one a an ar and one on .243. Glass is better than the pst for sure. The Tango 4 and pst gen 2 are probably close on glass, but prefer the Tango 4. The Tango 4 is on a 280ai and works pretty dang good, mine is FFP and is also impressive for the money.
I have a vx5 as well and prefer it over the others over all, but the whiskey 5 glass is impressive for what it is, seems to really perform in low light.
I've had no tracking issues with any of them, but I'm not too rough on them and haven't had them long enough to tell you much about the durability. So far, so good.

I can't speak to the others.

It's my new favorite in the budget range. Tracks and has 34mm tube. Clear glass. Parallax is like my PM2. Honestly the whole scope feels like my PM2 but for $600
Man this name keeps popping up here and over on rokslide. The oldest review I can find is from may of 2019 and that was 50 rounds.
When did you get this optic and what have you done with it that makes you such a strong believer.

Arken is good I've shot behind a few. Their turrets are y'all like the Swarovski X5's so that is a drawback to me if you are putting one in a pack gun.

But they are all mil FFP with no illumination arent they? I guess for a designated range gun that is fine. For hunting I think you have to have illumination on an FFP scope.

Bushnell Forge
Viper PST Gen 2
Leupold VX5
Sig Whiskey 5
Sig Tango 4
Burris XTR
Riton RTS
Athlon Cronus

I have a PST gen 2 and 2 VX5HDs. All have been awesome - hunted with them, beat them up, spun the dials out to 1250 and they tracked perfectly.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts