Opinions on current rule for Classified posting

Rick Richard

With due respect to the owner of this forum, I am not attempting to overstep the boundaries. However, I am soliciting opinions/options on how to protect the membership from scammers.

I am not naive enough to believe it can be eliminated, but hope it can be minimized. Please provide your suggestions so that it can be passed on to Len and the admins. If this post is unwanted, please delete.

My suggestion is to increase the number of post significantly more than the 10 and the length of time before a new member can post in the Classifieds.

"We ask that you be a registered member for 7 days, make at least 10 posts, and have some interaction with the community in forums other than the classifieds before you can be approved to participate in the classifieds. We don't charge for the classifieds, but we would all love to get to know who we are dealing with."

I am a long time member of a large "fishing" forum on the SE Tx gulf coast, 2coolfishing, and their posting requirements are 25 posts before access to sell on the classifieds. It does seem to help cut down the scammers there.
Provided for comparison only.

made my opinion known in another tread.
small fee put towards membership
limit number of adds per month
50 post minimum
and will add a 1-2% seller fee to help offset cast of maintance
and a classified/certified icon like the LRH supporter by your user name and then everybody will know right away if the person is serious

Some forums require a photo of the item with the member's name written on a piece of paper in the picture. I kind of like that, at least you know it's not a photo harvested off the internet.
That is supposed to happen here as well as the date. There are still scammers that photo shop that as well.

Way over thinking this.
How many "Scammers" has this Forum seen in the last year, three years, ten years.
Did the member that got Scammed do their part in communicating and finding out information on the Seller?

I have not been on this Forum for too long and have not seen but a few bad reviews, but this one Scam from Echo018 has a few members making the Classifieds sound like a Hunting Ground for Scammers.

Recent Posts