Opening up an XP bolt head

Hotolds442

I am getting ready to convert a 14" 7TCU center grip to a 350 Remington Mag. Is it more cost effective to order a PT&G bolt configured for the Magnum bolt face and mini M-16 extractor or to have my 223 based bolt opened up and milled for the new extractor? I don't have the tools to measure my receiver for the proper diameter, and kinda hate the thought of losing the dogleg. The current bolt is not what I'd consider sloppy in the action. Looking for recommendations on which direction to go...

Contact Karl Kampfeld, of www.kampfeldcustom.com

He did one of my XP-100 bolts that started life as the same case head diameter as your's (mine was a 221 FB).

All my work was done thru Jon Beanland's shop (the bolt was done by Kampfeld), so I don't know the exact cost, but I chose that route as opposed to the PT&G bolt.

I'd open the bolt up and have an m16 extractor put in. If you want to order a PTG have your smith measure the raceways for you.

Aaron

The bolt is on it's way to Gre-Tan for the work needed. I had a certificate for half off a Shilen blank, so for $90 and some change, a new Sendero profile stainless barrel in .358 is on it's way. I've got at least a 6 month wait for a McMillan stock in the group buy, so now I just need to find a smith to put it all together once I get all of the components.
Aaron, are you still in extreme NW Oregon? You turned some case necks for me a couple of years ago when I needed them in a pinch.

I'm in Michigan now. But only for 5-6 more months, then off to Alaska. I think the 350mag will be good in an XP. I have a 35wsm that hammers.

Aaron

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.