Needing to build an xp for off hand shooting.

Ok I recognize the the Bog Pod, but I have no clue as to what the other tripod is. You do have my interest.

I am also asking myself if I might be better off starting off with a Stryker. Play with it for a year or two. Then maybey I'll get it right on my first build. When I wrote the question that opened this thread I thought I knew most all the answers. Well here I am a week or a little better after I asked the question realizing it was a good thing to ask because I don't know squat. This journey started in 1993 when I bought 2 35 Rem Xp-100r pistols. Tried for 5 years and got frustrated with them. I had 1 changed over to a 243 win. Then I saw Ernie's video on the 375 Snipe-tac 3 years ago and knew I was going to have a custom bolt pistol made. This year I fell and received a pretty bad concussion and the doc told me it would be better to shoot a handgun than a shouldered gun for deer hunting. I picked up a 308 encore for use this year and just was not happy with it. After season this year my mind is made up I am getting my "dream" pistol. Well my "dream" has gotten cloudy.

Last edited:
Ok I recognize the the Bog Pod, but I have no clue as to what the other tripod is. You do have my interest.

I am also asking myself if I might be better off starting off with a Stryker. Play with it for a year or two. Then maybey I'll get it right on my first build. When I wrote the question that opened this thread I thought I knew most all the answers. Well here I am a week or a little better after I asked the question realizing it was a good thing to ask because I don't know squat. This journey started in 1993 when I bought 2 35 Rem Xp-100r pistols. Tried for 5 years and got frustrated with them. I had 1 changed over to a 243 win. Then I saw Ernie's video on the 375 Snipe-tac 3 years ago and knew I was going to have a custom bolt pistol made. This year I fell and received a pretty bad concussion and the doc told me it would be better to shoot a handgun than a shouldered gun for deer hunting. I picked up a 308 encore for use this year and just was not happy with it. After season this year my mind is made up I am getting my "dream" pistol. Well my "dream" has gotten cloudy.

My concern wouldn't be so much trying to design a center-grip XP that you can use standing with no supports or field rests, instead build the XP that you want in the cartridge you want, and then learn how to use field rests whether natural or man made and then doing the majority of your practice from those types of field rests.
As a fellow lefty, i would stay with the XP over the Striker myself

Listen to Ernie: he will steer you right.

I built my XP-100 with long range in mind. However, most of my hunting is eastern Oklahoma where shots tend to be rather short (my first deer with that XP was at 10 yds).

If you were to simply build one solely for off hand shooting then the barrel would be pencil thin (is factory contour like the 7BR factory tubes or a bit heavier) for proper balance even in a center grip to facilitate offhand shooting.

Listen to Ernie on the Striker vs the XP. XP-100 hands down better choice.

Ernie would def be the SME on xp's in general, HOWEVER, be forewarned..... prolonged listening too and reading up on Ernie will cause SEVERE pain..... to your wallet! LOL no regrets.
As far as a very fitting offhand build Aaron built a very light weight xp for himself not too long ago so pick his brain as well.
As for the bog gear, mine is in the back seat of the truck right now as I am anxiously awaiting that clock to wind down so I can head out to hunt camp with my .260 xpr. Great piece of kit to have with sp's and not too hard on the wallet either. They are light weight and can be (fairly quickly...) adjusted for standing or seated shooting.
Good luck and keep us posted!

Well except for the trigger I think I have my builds figured out. Yes 2 not a switch barrel. I have not completely made my mind up on triggers but I know I want a safety.

I thank you all for your help.

My factory XP-100 trigger is set to 24 ounces (1.5 lbs). Nice and crisp. Plus it has a safety.

Well except for the trigger I think I have my builds figured out. Yes 2 not a switch barrel. I have not completely made my mind up on triggers but I know I want a safety.

I thank you all for your help.

I don't claim any great expertise, but since:
- You already have a .308 bolt face
- The 35 Whelan was working for you

Perhaps a .358 win might work? Obviously hand loading would be a must since factory loads are marginally available. (Edit- midway has a few versions in stock- reasonable pricing)

It isn't quite the Whelan, but not too much less.

The pressure capability is at least 50% higher than the 35 Remington (over 50K vs 33k)

The only downside is the 35 caliber bullets don't have that great of ballistics compared for instance to a .338. / example .338 Federal.

Just some ideas to kick around.

Ya I am working on getting parts together for 2 xp's pretty confident one will be a 375 ruger and a 223rem fast twist set up as close as I can get it to a clone of each other. One I want for a deer stomper and the other a cheaper to shoot target pistol. I am also looking at a swivel chair with a rifle rest I can pack in half a mile to post ends of drives if need be. If anyone has used such a platform I sure would not mind hearing any pros or cons. The primary purpose of build is to get around our "slug zone" laws. One of the biggest hurdles is 95% of our deer are shot on the run. I am working with a trainer to build shoulders so I'm hoping that will help some with offhand stability. I hate tracking deer when they are running threw cattails with water standing in them hence the 375. We kick them out of one patch and they run to the next. Some of the sections will have 5 of these wet areas the farmers can't till surrounded by beans, corn, or greens. Whitetail paradise and they learn to be totally nocturnal due to road hunters and all the land being divided in 1 mile squares by roads. Hope that gives a little more insight to what and why I'm looking for.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.