opening a box magazine

degreen

I have a Savage 11/111 LRH in .338 Lapua. When I checked OAL of the chamber I noticed a lot of space for seating my bullets out, however it has a box magazine. I looked at the magazine, and could see that there is a seem on the nose end of it. So I am thinking that a guy could cut the weld out, and form it so that the bullets can be seated out. The other issue is the magazine well. The front screw doesn't allow for much extending of the magazine well, but it may allow enough. Anyone out there ever modified the magazine and well on the Savage 11/111 LRH?

Doesn't sound like a good idea to me! When extending a mag box all 'cuts' need to be a rear end. Where are the locking lug abutments? At the front!! Keep dreamin' and schemein'.............

+1

The gain is not worth the pain. I have extended mags an found that they were a lot of work and in some cases, did not work well and needed lots of tuning to get them functional.

The only ones that I felt good about were the ones that had the spacer in the back and only required a larger bullet follower. or the ones I extended to increase capacity (More rounds).

I found out years ago that I did not have to seat bullets beyond Mag length to get accuracy
so I don't change the mag length more than the action was built for.

If for some reason you need the COAL to be longer than the mag, single load.

J E CUSTOM

I mistyped this. This is a detachable box mag, and all it needs is a "v" shape about .020 to .025 inches. The Bergers need more length in order to seat them closer to the lands. My other option is to just single load, but that can be a pain if I need a quick follow up shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.