One year wait to get my 50 BMG rifle

Mrvmax

In the early 90's when I was in the military we had a Barrett M82 and I was the first one in my unit to shoot it. Since then I have always wanted a semi auto 50 BMG rifle. Well, unfortunately, the M82 is a bit too expensive as is all other semi-auto 50 BMG's so I have had to settle for the next best thing - a single shot 50 BMG rifle.

I've been an FFL for 13 years now and have transferred a few 50 BMG rifles to customers and years ago transferred a Big Bertha 50 BMG rifle from East Ridge Gun Company. When I was considering which single shot to buy, I recalled that rifle and contacted the guy who bought it to ask about how it shot. He said it was the most accurate 50 BMG he owned (I know he has at least two single shot rifles in 50 and many more in other calibers since he participates in long range competitions) and he was pleased with it. I went ahead and contacted the owner of ERGC and put a "Rebel" on order with his laminate stock. He went over all the options with me, stock color, which break, fluted or non fluted barrel, length of pull etc. It is going to be a year before I can get my rifle due to supply chain issues and lack of barrel availability, but this time next year I will be shooting my new Rebel rifle.

I went ahead and bought the scope I am putting on it, a Nightforce 8-32 bench rest with Nightforce rings.

In the mean time I started looking at reloading 50 BMG. Just doing some quick calculations, it will be $3.50 a round assuming I have brass already. If I have to buy brass it will be $6.00 a round. I can by factory ammo as cheap as $3.50 a round all the way up to about $9-$10. I think I am going to buy factory ammo little by little over the next year since the 50 BMG reloading equipment is a bit costly. Unless the factory 50 BMG is really inaccurate, I may just stick with buying it instead of having to buy all the loading equipment for 50. Normally when I shoot at 1000 yards I take 2-4 rifles and I am so busy now that I only get to shoot 3-4 times a year. I think 10-20 rounds per session will be my max so $70 of ammo 3-4 times a year is not bad. Especially knowing that the 50 cal hitting that steel plate at 1000 will be music to my ears. It will be a good Christmas in 2023.....

For those that have not heard of it, here is a link to the rifle I ordered. Rebel