One piece or two piece scope base?

isptroop38

I recently bought a Weatherby Ultra Light in .338-06 A Sq. I plan to top it with a Leupold scope, but am not sure whether to go with a one piece base or a standard two piece base. I know the one piece base is supposed to be easier to keep the rings in perfect alignment, but does it interfere with the ejection port opening at all? I don't want it to reduce the opening when I am loading or unloading. I have a scope alignment tool, so maybe that would offset the "better" alignment argument. Would a one piece handle recoil any better? Which one should I go with and why? Thanks.

Their are alot of "ideas" about which is better but I personaly don't think that is matters , Some will say that the one piece base makes the action stiffer , some say that the one piece will make the scope have better alignment.

If your scope base holes are strait in the action then the two piece base will be strait , as for it making the action stiffer? will you have two little screws on each side thats holding it on so that is gonna be the weak link how much strength do you think that they are gonna add?

Now is your looking for a bigger range of scop mounting option then the one piece piccatinny rail will be the way to go. If you looking for a strong light weight ring base set up then Tally makes a one piece ring/base combo thats realy nice.

How well with one handel the recoil better than the other , again it comes back to the four tiny screws holding both end on , so that area between the screws ain't gonna do squat for handeling recoil cause its not touching anything.

That makes sense. I've never heard of them making the action any stiffer. I like the look of the two piece better anyway. I think I'm going to go with the Leupold Dual Dove Tail Mounts. Thanks.

I like the Leupold Dual-Dovetail mounts too, and I used to shoot them on almost all my rifles. After seeing a buddy of mine tweak a scope tube using them I switched to the Warne rings/bases and now use them exclusively. If you do go with the Leupold DDs, make sure and lap them before you mount the scope... my buddy was crying the blues when he busted up his Leupold mounting it.

I recomend you look at the Tally aluminum one piece ring/base set up , that are very well built and take very little lapping to make 100% you don't have to worry about aligining the ring in the base cause its one piece.
the 7000 seriues aluminum that they are made from is very strong. and looking at how much steel is actualy holding the DD mount on I would say that they are stronger !!

But if you want the DD mount anyway , I would reccomend that you use the Leupold bases cause they look good and the Burris Signature rings with the plastic incerts.

I also like the Talley system. Their aluminum base/ring combo is very light and strong. If you want steel rings & bases that are also quickrelease, Talley's mounts are pricey but hard to beat and used on a ton of custom rifles!
No real advantage to one piece bases.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.