One mile shot

dustinfew

I'm interested in making a shot at a mile, the farthest I've shot is 1100 yards but that's about the max for my FN SPR 308 as it sits right now. Looking to get something new, any recommendations on a budget rifle and scope build?

You will need a scope with a good amount of elevation for the shot that far. Doesn't need to be all dialed but having some in the reticle will help also. I'd look for a scope that has 26+ mils in it as you can set up the base/rings/mount with enough cant to use most of it.

For the rifle a magnum will make it an easier task but will also come with more recoil and cost of ammo. You need to figure if you want to spend the money on a magnum for taking the shots a few times and then have it just sit in the safe or buy something you will shoot more down the road or do you plan to shoot like that a lot. I have done a mile with a 6.5 Creedmoor and also a 300WM and a 7mmRM. What were your thoughts?

I have a savage 110 7mm mag and I also have a ruger American Go Wild 6.5 cm, I just haven't got around to put scopes on either of them. I've been a hunter my whole life and I'm also a Marine Corps veteran so I'm pretty experienced when it comes to shooting and guns in general, I've just never truly stepped into the long range world until recently. Which of those two rifles, if either, would you recommend? Also have a 30-06, 223, 22-250, 270, and a 300 wsm but im not a fan of the 300.

I'm interested in making a shot at a mile, the farthest I've shot is 1100 yards but that's about the max for my FN SPR 308 as it sits right now. Looking to get something new, any recommendations on a budget rifle and scope build?
Get yourself a .338LM and will be able to shoot way past one mile.
Savage makes for Precision model in 338
Ruger RPR .338LM
Under $2K
You can also go with .30 cal mags
Even with a 6.5mm
or any Creedmoor

The 7mmRM would be a good choice for caliber. With the 180 ELDs it's a much easier shot. I dropped 2 out of 3 shots on a 12" steel at a mile with my 7mmRM with the third just falling off plate at 3 o'clock. How is yours set up? Like a hunting rifle or a comp rifle? You can always just get a new barrel and stock for it if a hunter style and then a good scope and be under your $2000 mark.

So if you have the rifle already then just looking for a good optic. To keep the cost down the Bushnell Match Pro ED would be a good choice at $699. 30 mils of elevation and an excellent reticle for holds.

It's definitely set up more like a hunting rifle.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 34
Well do you want to tear it down and build it up or keep it and buy something else?

I wouldn't mind a tear down on it. Seems cheaper that way. Since I already have the rifle, id be more willing to throw down a little extra cash on a optic that's worth it.

It may be cheaper but you will need to buy the tools to do it also as in barrel nut wrench, barrel vice, and go/no go gauges so that has to be added to cost of barrel and stock/chassis. I add the chassis/stock in there as the one you have might not be able to be opened up enough I the barrel channel to use a heavier barrel but you can look and see. You will also want a good mount with about 40 MOA in it so you can get the most out of the optic for dialing that far.

Do you load already for the 7mmRM?

Also do you know what twist your rifle now has? For the longer, higher BC bullets in the 7mm a 8-8.5 twist would be preffered.

Do some searching for Savage prefit barrels and see if what you come up with is in your price range. I would look for around an 8 twist and at least 24" but longer would be better. Contour will be up to you as it adds weight but that's usually a good thing for cutting recoil.