One “Do it All Cartridge” - All of NA

300 win mag in a Apex Hunter. Comes in at 9 lbs scoped with a Ziess V6 in 3x18. Low enough power for brush and close up with the ability to use the higher power to shoot long when needed.
all around bullet it is the 181 Hammer Hunter. Second choice is Swift Sciroccos in 180 grain. These 2 bullets offer the most versatility from up close to long shots and perform. I've seen these bullets perform.
One Alaskan costal black bear was a stem to stern shot at 42 yards in the thick southeast Alaskan forest with the Scirocco from a 300 win. Bullet entered at the base of the neck, right side. Traveled through the vitals hit the left rear hip joint and completely shattered the joint and exited out. DRT
Hammer took another bear on the same trip. Hit front left shoulder. Destroying it. Passed through to destroy the off shoulder. DRT

Also if your on a trip and ammo is lost you can buy it in most locations. Even the remote Alaskan villages have it on the shelf!! May not be what the rifle likes but it'll get you by. I've had a couple hunters have to do this. Both went home with animals.

Twenty-five years ago bought an off the shelf Rem BDL stainless/fiberglass in .375 H&H. I glass bedded the lug, floated the barrel, and shortened the pull to fit me. With a Leupold 3X and loaded with 235 grain barns at 3000fps or 250 grain Swift at 2900fps it has worked fine in the North Country, even on grizzly. It's a bit light and you need extra padding when at the bench but I have had smaller calibers that hurt me more. It's a joy to carry, points quickly, and reduces the anxiety when in close proximity to big bears.

300 WM, Best all around cartridge. Whitetail to Moose and charging bears. However, should apply appropriate bullet weights to the game you are pursuing. That charging bear, Oh yes remember to carry that 44.

Old school here. I'm on the -06 side. But if you really want ACTUAL ammunition availability worldwide, .308 win. aka 7.62 nato. If you can't kill it with a 180 gr partition or 165 gmx, you better get back to the practice range. I have 4 rifles in 308 AI and 4 in -06 AI. I DO prefer my pre 64 mod 70 in -06 AI with an old Leupold 2-7

Twenty-five years ago bought an off the shelf Rem BDL stainless/fiberglass in .375 H&H. I glass bedded the lug, floated the barrel, and shortened the pull to fit me. With a Leupold 3X and loaded with 235 grain barns at 3000fps or 250 grain Swift at 2900fps it has worked fine in the North Country, even on grizzly. It's a bit light and you need extra padding when at the bench but I have had smaller calibers that hurt me more. It's a joy to carry, points quickly, and reduces the anxiety when in close proximity to big bears.

AWESOME!!!

First off I would never consider hunting with a 10lb rig unless it was the last gun on earth. Just stupid. In 50 years of hunting I have tried to find the ONE gun setup and for me the last one is close.
proof glacier in 300wm scoped with a custom vx6hd 3-18 loaded with 200gr Nosler Accubonds.

This is cheating but it falls into "one gun" category.
Christensen LA with WTO switch lug, proof research barrels in 338 Rum and 300 PRC. Iota Eko carbon stock. Leupold Vx-5hd 3-15 CDS. Will be sitting at (when stock arrives) 8.75 lbs.
338 Rum- 285 grain Barnes LRX @ 2795 FPS.
300 PRC - 200 grain LRX.
#1 choice is the 338 Rum Barrel.

"One Cartridge"! ;) memtb

Remington 700 blue printed, 26 inch factory bbl cryoed with guide series brake. Leupold vx6hd 4-24x52 using 180 grain scirocco 2 b&c lr hunter stock.

First off I would never consider hunting with a 10lb rig unless it was the last gun on earth. Just stupid. In 50 years of hunting I have tried to find the ONE gun setup and for me the last one is close.
proof glacier in 300wm scoped with a custom vx6hd 3-18 loaded with 200gr Nosler Accubonds.

10 pounds.... Too heavy or, too light! :) memtb

I'd have to say any CRF in 30-06 or .308. Most will be nice and light, store ammo is abundant in many weights, you didn't mention normal humans being youth or female. Recoil and muzzle blast are modest at worst. A well placed properly constructed bullet will stop anything on Earth! P.S. I'm not a fan of either but they'd be hard to beat.

Easy. 7mm Rem Mag. I would run a 180-grain VLD style bullet for everything but brown bear (I shot mine with 180 VLDs). Barnes TTSX or LRX would be preferred. Scope wise Something around 20x, maybe the Leupold mk5 3.6-18. 20-22 inch carbon barrel with a big brake. I prefer a stock like our Gunwerks ClymR for an all-mountain rig. Goal weight would be 9lbs fully loaded.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.