? On ladder test and pressure signs 6.5x284

bigben

I finally got a chance to get out and shoot my ladder test rounds. I am expirimenting with my 6.5 x284 norma chambered savage in a model 116 weather warrior. Im using nosler brass 140 gr amax h1000 and federal gold match primers.

I shot my ladder test on friday which was a bit windier then i like for testing groups but i am running out of time. I started out at 50 gr and went to 54.5 gr in .5 gr increments. I had a target set at 300 yds with a 8-10 mph breeze blowing from 2 oclock position. I dialed in the scope on my estimated fps. I started low and went to 52 gr and stopped. I had semi flattened primers at that point. I did not have any other signs of hot loads just the flat primers. Here is whats weird is the lighter charges is what was flatter. I did not get these loads mixed up either i weigh every charge as well. Why did i get flatter primers at a lower charge weight? Also is this the norm for federal primers?

Also i got conflicting results with the ladder test. I shot from low to high which only was 52 gr. i ten drove out to the target and then went back and waited till the barrel was cool. Which it wast really hot to begin with because of the wind. I then shot from high to low and went down to collect my target. The lowest charge was the worst. 50.5, 51, and 52 landed within 2.5" of vertical of each other. 51.5 landed 1" higher then the highest hit within that 2.5" vertical cluster. But they are 1/2" apart. Picture attached. Why did 52 gr charge land lower then the 51.5 gr charge? It was partly cloudy and there was mirage. Could that have thrown it off some? Also i plan on using tis load for long range deer/bear and g hogs so temps can be from 20 deg to 100 deg. Which load would you choose to work over all ranges?

BD24B853-06DE-4249-9C67-F1CBA644294A-4567-000005D71ED99FD6_zps0d0b7b01.jpg

I might be misunderstanding but the impact of the bullet is related to the harmonics of the barrel at the time of muzzle exit. It could easily by higher, not by velocity factors, but simply the whip of the barrel.

I see 3975 fps on the target, did you expect that?

Also, I use fed match. I have semi flat primers from light to heavy loads. I can't judge just the primer. I have to judge the scrub on the case base and feel of the bolt handle combined. It seems that all but very light loads do not flatten the primers some and leave cratering.

I might be misunderstanding but the impact of the bullet is related to the harmonics of the barrel at the time of muzzle exit. It could easily by higher, not by velocity factors, but simply the whip of the barrel.

I see 3975 fps on the target, did you expect that?

I believe it might be close but i do not have an accurate chrono. I have one someone blew some 17 rem bullets up in front of trying to push them too fast. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt. I had read that people were getting 3200 fps with h1000 so i figured 2900 to 3050 was possible i dont have any way to tell.

OK, 3975 fps with a 140 in a 6.5-284 is not going to happen, that is why I was wondering. You could get to 3000 tho. I am right at 2970 with mine in a 24" barrel.

Lol i was wondering what you were talking about and didnt even notice my mistake on the paper

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.