Older ruger m77 experiences

ohiohunter

My friend has an older ruger m77 300wm with a walnut stock. He insists on using inexpensive scopes. He just mounted an old weaver v9-II its decent but upon loosening the rear objective the threads are soo loose the rear obj slops around and you can clearly see the cross hairs moving too. I know the cross hairs aren't actually moving, just the rear lens, but either way it must lock up the same in order to hold zero and I don't see that happening under recoil.

To my real question. The barrel is not floated and I was interested in other's experiences w/ this particular rifle. Have you achieved acceptable accuracy without floating? Should I suggest he have it floated or float it himself? I think he should float it, but I don't want him to start whittling away and ruin his gun.

I have 2 older 77 MKII's (7mm-08 and 7mm RemMag), and they are in the skeleton sythetic stocks. Neither are floated or bedded, and with handloads, I can get them to shoot 3 shots touching at 100 yards. Sometimes better if conditions are right.

I have been debating on buying a couple of these, and having my gunsmith drill and tap the reciever, so I can use alot better rings than what you are normally stuck with on the Rugers, because you have to use their proprietary rings.

Ruger M-77 Long Action Picatinny Rail Mounts (MUST DRILL & TAP RECEIVER) 20 MOA: EGW Gun Parts

If you drill and tap for a picatinny rail, you can use ANY rings that are made to fit a pic rail, which means your options are pretty much endless. I also think it's a stronger and more precise way to mount a scope. All of my rifles, but 1, have EGW rails on them. The only reason the other doesn't, is because I have to save up to buy rings and a rail at the same time, because I don't have any spare 1" picatinny rings sitting around, so that could be a few weeks.

That makes me feel better, but now what about this scope issue? I am really thinking about a drop of locktite to keep it in place under recoil. It is stupid sloppy

That makes me feel better, but now what about this scope issue? I am really thinking about a drop of locktite to keep it in place under recoil. It is stupid sloppy
If the objective is loose, chances are there's no nitrogen left in it. And if there's no nitrogen left in it, you might as well chunk it in the trash.

I would replace it with one of these...

Vortex 6-24x50 Viper HS 30mm Rifle Scope | SWFA

If that's a bit out of the price range, this would be the next best thing...

Vortex Diamondback Rifle Scope 3.5-10x 50mm Matte

I have 2 older 77 MKII's (7mm-08 and 7mm RemMag), and they are in the skeleton sythetic stocks. Neither are floated or bedded, and with handloads, I can get them to shoot 3 shots touching at 100 yards. Sometimes better if conditions are right.

I have been debating on buying a couple of these, and having my gunsmith drill and tap the reciever, so I can use alot better rings than what you are normally stuck with on the Rugers, because you have to use their proprietary rings.

Ruger M-77 Long Action Picatinny Rail Mounts (MUST DRILL & TAP RECEIVER) 20 MOA: EGW Gun Parts

If you drill and tap for a picatinny rail, you can use ANY rings that are made to fit a pic rail, which means your options are pretty much endless. I also think it's a stronger and more precise way to mount a scope. All of my rifles, but 1, have EGW rails on them. The only reason the other doesn't, is because I have to save up to buy rings and a rail at the same time, because I don't have any spare 1" picatinny rings sitting around, so that could be a few weeks.

My dad has one of those skeleton synthetic stock rugers in a 7mm rem mag and it shoots smidgen under Moa groups. We dont shoot it much because it kicks like a mule. After 5-10 shots im all set on shooting it for a bit

If the objective is loose, chances are there's no nitrogen left in it. And if there's no nitrogen left in it, you might as well chunk it in the trash.

I would replace it with one of these...

Vortex 6-24x50 Viper HS 30mm Rifle Scope | SWFA

If that's a bit out of the price range, this would be the next best thing...

Vortex Diamondback Rifle Scope 3.5-10x 50mm Matte

Im not sure he'd spend that much even if I found a used one. How do you think the diamondback compares to a nikon buckmaster?

What year was the rifle manufactured. The serial number on the older models started out with the year, then a dash (-) then some more numbers.

I bought 5 different M77's when they first came out, 3 weren't worth owning, 2 got down to minute of deer. The originals didn't have the best of barrel quality but with some work you could get them to be hunting worthy. I finally gave up on them and no longer own any M77's.

Im not sure he'd spend that much even if I found a used one. How do you think the diamondback compares to a nikon buckmaster?
I would buy the Diamondback over the Buckmaster. My buddy has a Diamondback, and for the money, they're pretty good scopes. I was impressed with his for the $150 he paid for it brand new on sale at our local store.

I have a Viper HS, and for the money, those Viper HS's are HARD to beat...Real hard. Especially that one that's on clearance at SWFA right now. If I had $800 spare dollars, I'd order 2 of them right now, if that tells you anything.

If he is ok with a fixed power scope, then this is also a very good option if his shots are going to be 100 yards or farther. It would be tough for sub-100 yard shots being a fixed 10x, but for 100+, this would make an excellent option, too. I have one in a 20x42 with the MilQuad reticle on my 5R Milspec 300WM, and the turrets are solid, they're built like a tank, and the glass is very nice for the money.

SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical Riflescope | SWFA

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.