Old Brass

Lee Deming

When do you stop using old brass? Hornady .375 H&H brass is $2/case. I have about 80 old Winchester cases that have been reloaded no more than three times with a relatively mild-2640 fps-260 gr. Nosler Accubond. How does a person tell when it's time to retire them?

The way I can tell is if the primers are loose in the primer pocket or will not seat at all!
If I don't feel resistance when priming I throw them away.
Gotcha. Will check the next time I try seating a primer in one. Speaking of that, I only have 100 Rem 9.5 Magnum primers left so I will use those sparingly. I suppose that I can try to seat another Magnum primer and throw it away when I find if they seat or not. Thanks.

I'm with Old Rooster. When the primer pockets get loose or if you get a ring showing case head separation. I had some Winchester brass that had 21 loadings before tossing. Most don't make it that long.

In my AI, I load them pretty darn warm…..I toss them after 10. Probably don't have to, but many years ago I had a case separate on the 11th firing. I guess that I got paranoid! memtb