Old 2 gauge shotgun, Lets go duck hunting!!!

Chas1

Believe it or not, 2 gauge shotguns were once used to kill ducks, but not by the means of modern waterfowlers. Back in the days of market "hunting" for ducks, shooters in a flat-bottomed duck boat (called a punt) would float up to a raft of ducks and then pull the trigger on the 10-foot-long muzzleloading shotgun, which was mounted directly to the boat.

Check out the video:

YouTube - Old 2 gauge shotgun: Lets go duck hunting!!! :eek:)

Dang thats Huge! Herritage Ranch had a 6 guage that they mounted in a concrete mount in a boat. The shell looked like about the size of a Redbull can. I never got to see them shoot it as it is illegal to hunt with now-a-days, but cool none the less. That muzzle loading 2 guage makes the 6 guage look like a timmid puppy. Id lone to have one of those hangin on my wall for a conversation piece:D, but Id have to shoot it every now and then to make sure it still worked........I wonder how that thing would do flock shootin turkeys at long range..........:D:D:D

I'd like to see how that thing does dove hunting in Argentina for a day.

Teddy Roosevelt used a side-by-side 4 gauge to hunt ducks. It can be seen, along with his many other firearms, at Sagamore Hill on Long Island.
Remember, the technique of putting chokes into barrels did not exist back then. The only way to get more range was to get more shot into the air,

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts