Okay let’s hear it!

PRCLITE

My current situation finds me with a defiance anti-x XM action and a blank canvas. I have been trying to think of what caliber to build and I've been very limited to choices because I have not reloaded so now I think I am going to start purchasing all the equipment needed to do so. With the possibility of reloading in my future I am not limited to factory or custom ammo supported calibers any longer and cartridges like the 7SAUM, 7SS, 7WSM, 300SS etc are now available to my choices.

So the question I ask is this: if you could choose one caliber that fit in the medium action, had enough energy to take medium and large game at long range (750-1000+), did not need anything longer than a 24" barrel, had manageable recoil with a brake or suppressor, and have a decent supply of components for reload - what would it be?

7SAUM would be my choice, but this is a personal preference thing. Since you are looking for what I would consider extreme long range hunting (1000+), the 300 215's would probably be a better choice. If you will be hunting suppressed, I would 24" on the barrel. 26" if running without a can. Decisions, decisions. It will be a fun project.

I was in exactly your shoes I ended up with defiance anti and had no idea what to do.
I got to thinking I haven't had/made time to do lots of reloading lately so until I do I'm sticking factory and going to actually use it instead of just planning for some future day.

I was in exactly your shoes I ended up with defiance anti and had no idea what to do.
I got to thinking I haven't had/made time to do lots of reloading lately so until I do I'm sticking factory and going to actually use it instead of just planning for some future day.
So what caliber did you wind up with?

Don't hate me😂
6mm cm In a heavy barrel
And a 6.5 cm in a lighter hunting type barrel. I really wanted a 6.5-06 but after sitting myself down and having a long honest talk with myself I don't end up shooting the calibers I have to load for as much. I'm stocked up on factory for other two and in today's world we need to have lots of brass anyway🤷🏻‍♂️ Basically I look at it as getting prepared to load later.
I can always have a barrel made later right???

Definitely not going to hate on either of those cartridges. I've had a 6.5CM and upgraded to the 6.5PRC for a little more reach but still left me wanting more. I'm all in on a 6.8Western right now that is shooting sub 1/2MOA 175's @ 2810fps which gets me out to 1000+ on antelope/deer sized game. I honestly don't know that I'll need more than the 6.8Western at this point if I'm being completely honest with myself. Maybe I will drop back down to a 6 or 6.5mm and build a really lightweight antelope/varmint rifle... I'd love to do a 20" barrel and run it suppressed yet still have it light enough to be able to walk around with it and get set up fairly quickly.

Got me thinking now...

So what caliber could dominate a predator hunt but still be plenty for deer/antelope? 6CM, 6ARC, 6GT? What about in the 6.5 class?

Pretty fun isn't it😂😂
For myself I just like to have easy to find components/ammo. I have a couple rifles that are oddball and I never end up using them because I'm wondering if I can find brass again

Definitely not going to hate on either of those cartridges. I've had a 6.5CM and upgraded to the 6.5PRC for a little more reach but still left me wanting more. I'm all in on a 6.8Western right now that is shooting sub 1/2MOA 175's @ 2810fps which gets me out to 1000+ on antelope/deer sized game. I honestly don't know that I'll need more than the 6.8Western at this point if I'm being completely honest with myself. Maybe I will drop back down to a 6 or 6.5mm and build a really lightweight antelope/varmint rifle... I'd love to do a 20" barrel and run it suppressed yet still have it light enough to be able to walk around with it and get set up fairly quickly.

Got me thinking now...

So what caliber could dominate a predator hunt but still be plenty for deer/antelope? 6CM, 6ARC, 6GT? What about in the 6.5 class?
For the predator, deer/antelope cartridge I would go 6mm Creedmoor for sure. It's been my most favorite cartridge to load and shoot for a couple years now. 6mm Creedmoor is easy to load for and has great factory ammo available.

I think I may be sold on the 6CM. I know there is a factory ammo readily available and if not I can always go to copper creek or the like if I don't start reloading. I should be able to do a 20" barrel running a suppressor and still get 3000fps+ with 95gr according to this:

I think I may be sold on the 6CM. I know there is a factory ammo readily available and if not I can always go to copper creek or the like if I don't start reloading. I should be able to do a 20" barrel running a suppressor and still get 3000fps+ with 95gr according to this:

My daughters 6mm Creedmoor is at the smith right now. It will run a 20 inch proof barrel so she can run it suppressed. Xlr magnesium chassis, falkor action, TT special trigger. It will run the 108 ELDM. For what it's worth we actually kill cow elk with another 6mm Creedmoor we have. Just make a good shot and down they go. We use berger hybrids for the cows even though I am sure the ELDM would do fine as well.