Ohio Train Wreck

I live about 20 minutes away in western Pa.
To be honest things are still not good and will not be for a long time. We have actually been drinking natural spring water from about 8 miles away because we really don't trust our city water from the river.
Our prevalent wind is from the west and we're east and slightly north from the site.
In the vicinity they have been checking chemical levels in drinking water and supposedly it's within the safe range but I watched a video of a guy offering a glass of water to a person who just tested his family's water and for some reason he refused to drink it!
The worst parts of the situation is the community is being kept in the dark about long term health risks and the total lack of help from our federal government.
Supposedly a axle and or hung up brake is the cause. There's a video of sparks flying from the railcar 45 minutes before the derailment.
That's about all the info I have at this time.

Last edited:
To be honest things are still not good and will not be for a long time. We have actually been drinking natural spring water from about 8 miles away because we really don't trust our city water from the river.
Our prevalent wind is from the west and we're west and slightly north from the site.
In the vicinity they have been checking chemical levels in drinking water and supposedly it's within the safe range but I watched a video of a guy offering a glass of water to a person who just tested his family's water and for some reason he refused to drink it!
The worst parts of the situation is the community is being kept in the dark about long term health risks and the total lack of help from our federal government.
Supposedly a axle and or hung up brake is the cause. There's a video of sparks flying from the railcar 45 minutes before the derailment.
Man you guys stay safe and be careful, I hear it was a broken axle

Our prevalent wind is from the west and we're west and slightly north from the site.

Praying you all stay safe.

I posted up in the balloon thread what farce the government response has been.

Post in thread 'CCP Baloon over the US'
https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/ccp-baloon-over-the-us.323191/post-2747707

So the wreck occurred Feb 3rd, so for 18 days Norfolk has done NOTHING to remediate the site. NOTHING! So after 18 days, EPA decides maybe we need to "order" the cleanup? This is mind numbing incompetence and ridiculous Norfolk has done NOTHING to remediate the spill site.

So for 18 days, chemicals have been permeating the soil toward groundwater. You cannot unequivocal state the groundwater is safe or homes are safe due to this ongoing percolation process dependent upon soil permeability.

This whole response is obscene in lack of a government agency (EPA) to be so slow in exercising their authority (18 freaking days!) to protect the citizens of East Palentine. The long term impact IMO, is likely to be quite severe once the extent of the subsurface contamination is determined through extensive soil and groundwater investigations.

Every shipper has to have spill response plan as part of their transportation. Norfolk failed in implementation and East Palentine is paying the price.

Man I feel for those people, what bothers me is that video of the train 45 minutes before the derailment, I haven't seen it, I wonder if the person tried to call 911, the railroad, or someone to get that train stopped. I also heard of one person coming forward and said they saw it go by with sparks flying also. I would hate to think that I could have called someone and prevented the whole catastrophe and didn't…..

So Trump goes there and now FEMA decides "oh maybe we should send someone to see what the fuss is about.". Useless DOT Buttigieg goes and remains useless. So EPA fails miserably, FEMA fails miserably and DOT fails miserably. My bet due to way in over their respective heads and paralyzed to make decisions from lack of basic understanding of their own positions. Procedures are in place, just push the dam buttons. There are people in these agencies that are qualified and can get it done.

Just get out the way and let them do their jobs.

Norfolk? They are going to get their life sued by every cable lawyer out there and rightfully so.

So Trump goes there and now FEMA decides "oh maybe we should send someone to see what the fuss is about.". Useless DOT Buttigieg goes and remains useless. So EPA fails miserably, FEMA fails miserably and DOT fails miserably. My bet due to way in over their respective heads and paralyzed to make decisions from lack of basic understanding of their own positions. Procedures are in place, just push the dam buttons. There are people in these agencies that are qualified and can get it done.

Just get out the way and let them do their jobs.

Norfolk? They are going to get their life sued by every cable lawyer out there and rightfully so.
Totally agree. Failure from top to bottom.
Was listening to a chemist and he said that they should have never exploded the one chemical. It's bad all by itself but once you put flame to it it's way worse. He's convinced the soil is contaminated for miles since the particles drifted with the wind. There will be a large increase in cancers, miscarriage and birth defects in this area for many years. He actually said the Chernobyl nuclear meltdown is the only disaster close in comparison.
They don't want anyone to know how bad this really is but the truth will come out eventually.

Oops. This was kind of like a butt dial.

My daughter had a volleyball tournament scheduled for East Palestine next month. The venue has been moved farther north due to the accident. My thoughts are with the people really affected by it.
...no matter where you go along the river your never far from some type of chemical plant and God forbid liquid propane.....I scratch my head every time I travel from Wheeling to Youngstown....a heck of a lot of goods moving on water, rail and highway, constantly.