Oehler is back!!

If ANYONE is having problems with a CED Charles Hardy will go out of his way to make SURE the problem is rectified. My CED is 2nd to NONE.

OK. Curiosity is killing the cat. Why the change of mind? Did you just come across some information that tilted you towards the 35P?

OK. Curiosity is killing the cat. Why the change of mind? Did you just come across some information that tilted you towards the 35P?
NO WAY like I said earlier in the post you quoted me saying "My CED is 2nd to NONE." I meant that it's NOT 2nd to NONE, my CED is SOLID 90% of the problem one have or I hear about is the operator and not the unit. All the years I've had mine there has been NO problems ZERO ZILCH.

I do know for a fact that the unit(CED) just like any other chrono will develop problems, if problems do show up Charles Hardy WILL get it rectified. Case in point I thought I had a bad sensor when I first received my CED, being that I was trying to chrono my bow(arrows) I was getting errors I called Mr. Hardy, but to no avail he was in HongKong. I left a message with his secretary that morning and by that night I was receiving a call on my cell phone from Mr. Hardy in HongKong to help me with my problem, low and behold it was me not having enough light to function the CED.

Last edited:
Now I'll have 3. Phorwath, what kind of set up can we make with 3 chronographs?:D

You & I get together at the shooting range and it'll look like an assembly line. Folks will be asking us if we're building one of those super-colliders. :)

There is a reason why people were paying so much for them used!! A lot more than new.

The bottom line-----if CED or Chrony kicked the bucket you would have a hard time giving them away.

Ken makes very good stuff.

I've got a 33 and a 35P. I purchased new screens a few months ago as I was worried about spares and never expected them to become available again.

A friend has gone through three chronographs in about 4 years and the only one still running is his 33. Some of those were big names. I've seen some of the big names mentioned crap out at IPSC shoots and sometimes 2 in 2 days so that the chrony stages were scrapped!

Reality is that the Oehler stuff seems more reliable. Maybe the older technology or lack of features is partly responsible for that?

I've seen my 35p run in conditions where others could not get data. Admittedly my old 33 with the just the little eye type screen is finicky about where you put the bullet.

There's a review at 6mmBR I think where they confirm data when no-one else was running.... It's generally a good review.

Get one. Recognise it's limitations and live happily until they don't maintain them... which is my only worry. And yes, absolutely great people to deal with. Even if you are half way across the world!

Now they need to make Oehler stickers for our rifle cases and trucks. :D

"If mine are analog, I can tell you that analog does as good a job as I need "

Chronographs are digital, not analog. All of them.

OK. Then digital does as good a job as I need. There have been some posts extolling the virtues of the late-model manufactured chronographs, and I interpreted some to be saying analog technology was used in the older era chronographs, versus digital technology in the currently manufactured models. And that because of that, the newer digital technology in the late-model chronographs may have an inherent technological advantage over the prior-model Oehlers, such as my Model 33 or even the 35P. I'm an engineer, but not an electrical or electronics engineer.

Perhaps that earlier discussion was simply with respect to the Oehler 35P printer?

Last edited:
To say the least the Oehler 35p is a OLD but pretty doggone good chrono, those that are coming out in limited quantities are not new technology they are the same 35p's of the yesteryears, which are analog systems compared to the CED digital systems. To say the least if I had to buy another chrono other than a CED it WOULD be a Oehler 35P

I guess this is the post talking about 35P analog systems versus CED digital systems. Exactly what was meant by that statement? I could not say.

I purchased a ced over the winter and love it. However i did get the infrared screeens and had trouble first time out. However i think it was probably me than the equiptment. Otherwise it works great, i know the oehler was on top at one time and still could be but im not going anywhere now.
Mike

I guess this is the post talking about 35P analog systems versus CED digital systems. Exactly what was meant by that statement? I could not say.
To clarify the statement you quoted me saying above. The Oehler is designed 24+ years ago. At that time, all circuitry was analog in design. For example, the program in the Oehler takes 2.9 seconds to register a shot. It functions on a 4mHz chip. IT is accurate, so I always tell ANYBODY that if they do not want a CED, the only other accurate system on the market is Oehler. However, it has limited functions, it is not designed well in regard to the 2 ft. bracket, the wing nut screws, and the dimple on the bracket that you need to ACCURATELY match up for good results.

The M2 is designed in 2006 using a 48 mHz chip and full digital design and components. It runs at a speed of 33 recordings per second. Thus, it is so fast, it could record automatic fire. It includes voice technology. Power factor, Hi 3 Ave. 1,000 velocities or up to 500 strings, with full string recall. IT includes software Data Collector and USB downloads. None of these features are included in the Oehler is all I'm saying Sir.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts