OCW thoughts....

Agreed. Try the 45.9 load again. Take your time both loading and shooting. Your there or close. Speeds look better than before. This is where your load will build your confidence in it.

Still at 100yds? I like the ES of the 45.9, the 46.1 seemed to have one that came out hot. What is is your powder charging routine? Could you be having some variation in neck tension that is affecting chamber pressure? Nothing is wrong with the ES of the 45.7 and 45.9 but I think we both share some serious OCD looking for "perfection" lol

Still at 100yds? I like the ES of the 45.9, the 46.1 seemed to have one that came out hot. What is is your powder charging routine? Could you be having some variation in neck tension that is affecting chamber pressure? Nothing is wrong with the ES of the 45.7 and 45.9 but I think we both share some serious OCD looking for "perfection" lol
It is very possible to have some affected pressure due to neck tension, I felt it when I seated the bullet..... I really kinda look at what 3 out of 5 are the norm and go from there..... these are new brass, once its fire formed and neck sized only I believe the 45.9 load will shine

Last edited:
I wanna say kinda off topic but I really appreciate all the opinions of the people in the LRH forums.... it's nice to see a group of like minded people collaberate on something like an OCW test to benefit not only me or any OP but the greater good of all shooters that learn from these forums....... unlike the arrogant keyboard sniper a$$holes over at snipershide that think they are God's gift to the hobby...... yet only come off as the arrogant pricks they truly are

So I went out with 10 rounds of the 45.9g loads and shot 2 5 round groups at 300y.... 1 I didnt pay much attention to wind & the other I waited for what wind I had to die down and this is how it shot....
20200522_160008.jpg
20200522_160008.jpg
20200522_160002.jpg

I think once I place a little more attention to seating depth and neck size only itll probably be a good shooting round

Ladder tests work if you can remove shooter error...... I've never cared for ladder tests cause they can be a bit muddy..... idk
Maybe I'm thinking of something different, but isn't the point of the Satterlee ladder method to use less components and rely solely on velocity data and not shooter ability? How can shooter error be a thing using a velocity ladder that solely relies on the chronograph? You can literally shoot your ladder into a dirt pile right in front of you and get the data you need. That's why I use it at least, I look for the velocity nodes so I don't have to rely on my shooting ability ... obviously you gathered both group data and velocity data which is nice, but couldn't you save 12-14 bullets and powder and get the same outcome using just the ladder ... then shoot a few groups to fine tune the load with seating depth adjustments?

Nothing wrong with either method of course so do what works for you, but the comment about shooter error in a ladder made me scratch my head a little.

Maybe I'm thinking of something different, but isn't the point of the Satterlee ladder method to use less components and rely solely on velocity data and not shooter ability? How can shooter error be a thing using a velocity ladder that solely relies on the chronograph? You can literally shoot your ladder into a dirt pile right in front of you and get the data you need. That's why I use it at least, I look for the velocity nodes so I don't have to rely on my shooting ability ... obviously you gathered both group data and velocity data which is nice, but couldn't you save 12-14 bullets and powder and get the same outcome using just the ladder ... then shoot a few groups to fine tune the load with seating depth adjustments?

Nothing wrong with either method of course so do what works for you, but the comment about shooter error in a ladder made me scratch my head a little.
I dont mind the ladder method, it works but it relies on vertical dispersion at distances that a slight difference in shooter technique can throw a hotter round significantly lower than a lighter load making it read wrong...... does that make sense..... idk.... I found that 100 ocw works with regular calibers & a 200-300 yard ocw works with magnum calibers...... with magnums I've found that you can get the best of both worlds kinda from shooting an OCW from bit further than 100y

I think I'm just thinking of a different type of ladder ... or I'm misunderstanding ladders entirely! lol

When I shoot my ladders (Satterlee) I don't care about vertical dispersion or even what the target looks like, I'm only looking at the velocity to locate the velocity node(s) with the least spread. I can do that with 10-12 shots. Combining the OCW and ladder like you did obviously gives you a lot of great data which is super useful, nothing wrong with that at all!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.