Number of shot opportunities

Whitetail buck years ago=6 rounds. The scope got bumped hard enough on the old 1200 Winchester that I fired 5 rounds at 75 yards and the fool stood there and let me do it. There i was standing with an empty gun and no more rounds...or so I thought. Started walking back to the farm when I found one more round in my coat pocket. Got back where the buck was but no buck, where did he go? Well he busted out behind me so I turned and shot instinctively without the scope=dead deer right then and there, hit him high shoulder and pasted him to the hillside

Whitetail buck years ago=6 rounds. The scope got bumped hard enough on the old 1200 Winchester that I fired 5 rounds at 75 yards and the fool stood there and let me do it. There i was standing with an empty gun and no more rounds...or so I thought. Started walking back to the farm when I found one more round in my coat pocket. Got back where the buck was but no buck, where did he go? Well he busted out behind me so I turned and shot instinctively without the scope=dead deer right then and there, hit him high shoulder and pasted him to the hillside
I got tired of lobbing 12 gauge slugs at 75 and 100 yard deer and bought the first Hastings rifled slug barrel I saw. I had no idea how accurate they could be until then.amazing accuracy.

My first deer, yes - I shot it 4 times while it was standing there. First two through the lungs, missed, then one in the spine. Hey, I was 9 years old and a little excited. After that, all were one shot kills. I even got cocky for awhile and only took one bullet hunting with me. Would've served me right to miss a huge one and watch it slowly stroll away.

With a bow - definitely. Last year I ranged one at 40 yards, that was actually at 62. I grunted at it to make it stop, then shot 3 arrows in a nice little group exactly 6 inches under it. It just stood there broadside trying to figure out where the grunt came from until I ran out of arrows. You'd think I would check my range again instead of shooting more… ah well, at least they were clean misses.

I chased a pronghorn a few years ago in NM. I called him the "Teflon Don". I had 2 opportunities on him on opening day.
#1: Snuck in from 2 miles.out in a howling wind. They stood up at 1k out, I wanted to get to 500. Made it to 580 when they started to move. Took the shot and whiffed it. Wind pushed it way off. They ran.
#2: Same afternoon. Found him again, about 1.5 miles out bedded with his does again. Snuck in to 480 and set up to wait for him to stand. 45 minutes later, he stood and moved out straight away. Stopped at 700 in the wind, and I whiffed it again.
Shot my #2 buck the next morning.

What's funny…

We've all been out there and heard the roar of what sounds like an anti aircraft burst at an animal followed by a couple more shots…maybe more after that. I'd like to hear from those guys…did you ever get the animal?

After my M1 experience I give the shooter the benefit of the doubt in the heat of the moment to get the job done...to a certain extent. After all, my M1 experience probably sounded laughable from a distance away. I never heard the whack…perhaps someone not close to the rifle did???

With 4+ decades of hunting, I was only afforded 2 shot opportunities twice. One was with a miss on the first shot, and the second needed another shot for a humane harvest.

Has anyone been lucky enough to have more than 2 shot opportunities in the same wild game target?

In 1962 I put my .30-06 in a soft case under the seat of the Greyhound bus and went to Ellensburg, Washington. I never gave a thought the scope would not shoot where it was looking. That was my first deer hunt. Anyway, the first deer I killed took eleven shots before I hit it about eighteen inches from where I was aiming. The distance maybe was about fifty yards. Of course, it took a finisher.