NRA and The Government ????

My first topic in any conversation.... By the way, are you a member of the NRA. My second comment is: If you want to be, I'll purchase a membership for you. I'll buy your first year and after that you are on your own.....

I look at it this way. Rather than donating because they are always asking for donations (which irritates me btw), I donate new members and if they stay on, they donate and support the organization.

Just the way I do it. Besides I can afford it. I can't take it with me. Might as well spend it on something worthwhile....

Thought I'd add a signature picture this evening. Something of interest to all concerned.....

That's a great approach!

That AK would look pretty crummy with a 10 round clip:rolleyes:

Thought about either attaching the 100 round drum or putting up a picture of my WWII MG42 Machine Gun, but thought the AK was a bit less consternation for any liberals that might be on site......

I like the long range shooting sports but I also have a penchant for collecting infantry style rifles that still function, especially in select fire mode. One has to be discreet about discharging in select fire. People within hearing distance tend to call LE (like I'd be foolish enough to point a select fire weapon at someone....)

The 'government' knows all about me anyway. They probably have a record of everytime I flush the toilet.:)

The NRA membership isn't all that much (for one year) and your gift gets the recipient 12 issues of the NRA magazine of their choice plus a ball cap that has NRA embroidered on it (made in Taiwan of course). Least the magazine is printed here, they get a membership card and a decal for thir car window (I suggest not sticking the NRA decal in your car window, some LE's view that as you now have a rolling armory and want to pull you over and harass you....)

I put the decal on my gun case. They already know whats in the gun case....lol

(I suggest not sticking the NRA decal in your car window, some LE's view that as you now have a rolling armory and want to pull you over and harass you....)

You should move to Texas, your car is considered the same as your home, just keep your handgun out of sight, within reach and ready to go, no CHL required.

In Texas everyone is considered to be armed, thats why we are all polite, until messed with.

I like Texas, so does the wife. We've been looking at ranches near Austin to retire to (sort of). My issue is I need at least 500 acres of pasture land for the wife's horse posse.

I'd have to rethink my farming. Out there is different than here. Our land is way more productive, we get moisture (most years) to double crop. Last year was a bust but thats what we have crop insurance (entitlement) for I guess.

Would be a heck of a move taking all the equipment plus my machine shop. A convoy of tractor trailers I suspect.

Michigan isn't too bad. We have open carry (in plain sight here) but if you have a concealed carry you can't open carry. Most people don't because the sheeple call the law when they see a person packing, like 'Oh my god, that person has a gun......' Big deal for some, no big deal for me.

Carrying a sidearm puts a different spin on things and yes, I agree, an armed society is a polite society...always.

When on my property up north I always open carry, even in town. I'm comfortable with a 44 S&W long barrel in a holster on my hip. If I meet someone with ill intent, they aren't and thats fine with me. Carrying, especially open carry, levels all playing fields. The most petite gal becomes a 'Charles Atlas' in the eyes of any perp.

The only semi reliable rainfall is East Texas. West of a line running thru Ft Worth and Austin it seems like it gets drier every year, winter wheat was a bust for many around me this year for lack of rain.

Everything was a bust here too. I'm in the custom forage business running hayfields for customers that don't have the equipment (good haying equipment is expensive) and running my own fields. We got 2 cuts instead of the usual 4 and the 2nd cut was not much.

Hay is through the roof here. I wish I had 10,000 bales in the barn, I'd be in the Virgin Islands or somewhere tropical right now if I did. The only thing that saves my bacon (the horses bacon) is I have rounds made from 2 years ago of clover over wheat stubble.

I have had many calls for hay, no one even quibbles over price. I sold this fall, about 3000 bales of first cut alfalfa-timothy for $5.50 per bale picked up here. I used the proceeds to pay down the notes on some new equipment I bought earlier in the year and hay prices aren't coming down for the forseeable future so if we get the moisture (which we are now in snow), I should be in tall cotton next fall or should I say in warm climates.....

Interesting how forage is like firearm prices. It's supply and demand and when the demand outstrips the supply, prices go up. I figure I'll get dinged harder on fertilizer, Urea is climbing, has been for 2 years, fuel is going up, lubricants and parts are climbing too.

I goty out of row cropping about 7 years ago because the inputs then were stupid. I can fit and harvest a hayfield for at least 7 years, even longer with progressive overseeding and invasive species management and fertilizer application and realize substantial yields with basically no heavy (fuel consuming and equipment wear) tillage so it's a win situation for me. Tractors last a lot longer when you aren't busting their balls plus there in no need for mega horsepower mega buck tractors. I sold off all the big ones. My biggest now is 100 PTO FWA and even thats a bit much for hay.

People don't understand that whether you are manufacturing rifles or making hay, there are inputs and costs that have to be satisified before you even sell the product which is why I can't fault rifle manufacturers not increasing production to cover the demand. Obama ind Company might cause a 'no rain' situation concerning rifles if they ban them and the manufacturers are stuck with inventory thats worthless. That won't work in thoday's economic climate.

That AK in the picture usually rides along in the tractor cab in a wall mount. I made mounts to fit all the tractors so I can have the 'pray and spray' rifle handy for yotes in the field. Popped quite a few last year, it's open season on them here all the time. The short barrel is handy for swinging in a tractor cab. Just open the door and let 'er rip.

I guess we have yotes and you have wild pigs.....

In case anyone is look'n for a good deal there is no better time to join the NRA then now... I was watch'n Cam & Co. (NRA News) on Sportsman channel and they are running a special till the end of this month... Life memberships for $300.00... now thats a heck of a bargan from the normal 1000.00. They gave a special number out to call that offers no waiting for this deal which is 888-678-7894.

My first topic in any conversation.... By the way, are you a member of the NRA. My second comment is: If you want to be, I'll purchase a membership for you. I'll buy your first year and after that you are on your own.....

I look at it this way. Rather than donating because they are always asking for donations (which irritates me btw), I donate new members and if they stay on, they donate and support the organization.

Just the way I do it. Besides I can afford it. I can't take it with me. Might as well spend it on something worthwhile....

Thought I'd add a signature picture this evening. Something of interest to all concerned.....

If you were offering to buy a NRA membership for me , I want to thank you for the offer . I dont want to free load off of anyone but what I will do is join myself . Once I join I will post a thread . Your generosity has caused me to go ahead and join:) I am ready to get into the fight for our 2nd Ammendment

Thanks again for the offer.....

So far I've paid for 10 one year memberships and each time I called the NRA, I kicked in an additional 10 bucks toward the Servicemen overseas fund that sends them NRA stuff and goody packages. No problem there either.

I look at like this. If it weren't for the NRA in Washington Obama would ramrod through his crap without question and we'd all be scratching our asses wondering whats next.

I see the photoshop people had a field day with the official released picture of Obama shooting skeet at Camp David. Obama is a southpaw and is shooting a right hand shotgun...duh.

I'd be embarrased to even let the picture get published...anywhere.

Well Joe, I'll chime right in and say I did. I have bought several things, a range bag. some coffee mugs and one of those neat licence plate frames.

I just got a couple 'Im The NRA and I Vote' signs from NRA-ILA. I have one in the front yard and get lots of comments from lots of people. I look at it as a good deterrent for burglars. One of us is always home and my wife is better with a pistol than I am (I've found that women, in general, are better shooters with handguns than men). That plays out in our indoor and outdoor pistol leagues, the women always kick butt.

They are steadier and aim better..... and smell better too.:D

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.