NP-R1 or NP-R2???

I had the NXS in both the R1&R2. first: too busy & the second too much spacing: sold all of the NXS and got the best of both worlds, Leupold Mark4's from Hollands . for me works much better with the 1.5 MOA 's and numbered as well.
nmhunter

I am currently struggling with the same dilemma. I won a NF scope and cannot figure out a reticle that suits my style. What I would like is the R1 windage with the R2 elevation. 2MOA hash marks on both crosshairs. I don't think that the R2 windage marks are very useful. Even with a .280 shooting 140BTs, the first windage hash would be necessary in a 13 mph full value wind at 600. With a better bullet and some more speed, the wind would really have to be blowing to make the mark useful at that distance. For 1000 yards it may be a good choice.

The R1 is useful for windage but a bit busy for elevation. From a hunters standpoint, the 1MOA lines don't help. Plus, it isn't too difficult to dial up.

The only other NF reticle I looked at was the NP-1. Has anyone used it? What are the pluses and minuses?

Finally, has anyone seen the Velocity 1000? How likely is it hitting stores in 2011? I see how it could be fast and useful for a hunter, but why have the externally adjustable turrets. It seems to me this reticle works well with a traditional adjustment system with scope caps. After all, it seems like you sight it in and all of the elevation and windage aiming points are available in the scope.

Thanks

Dan

Last edited:
In his original post, .222 states that he does not plan on using the MOA gradations on the vertical crosshair. He does not plan on "holding over" for bullet drop in compensation, but rather will rely on his rangefinder and then dial in the drop. However, .222 does say that he intends to hold for the wind. That being said, then the NP-R1 would be the better choice. The horizontal crosshair on the NP-R1 has stadia, or measurements at 2 MOA intervals, while the NP-R2 reticle has them every 5 MOA.

In most shooting solutions that I have encountered, extreme compensating for the wind has never been more than 5 MOA - and most of the time, it has been between 1 and 2 MOA. If your shooting solution calls for 1.5 MOA, then it is much easier to estimate that with a 2 MOA stadia than a 5 MOA stadia. for that reason, I went with the NP-R1.

I have 3 5.5-22 x 56 NSXs 1 R1 & 2 R2s.
These are all on target/steel rifles for LR fun 700-1500 +
I wish they were all R1s but I couldn't get the R1s when I wanted the other scopes.
I had read all the talk of the R1 being too fussy but I have found the opposite.
The R2s hash marks are too far apart especially on the windage side for accurately judging adjustments, compared with the R1, IMHO.

On a hunting rifle this may not be the case, but I use lighter scopes on mine because the Nightforces are far too heavy for my liking, considering the way I hunt over here.

I like the NP-R1 especially for windage at long distances, takes out the guess work on a long shot. Best way is to look at both of them and see what looks best to you.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.