Not really long range but need a little help

Clay Target Guy

My daughter has started shooting a little and wants to get a hand gun carry permit. She is shooting a lightweight 38 special and the recoil of standard rounds is a little hard on her hand.
I was hoping to someone knows of a really light load for 125gr plated lead bullets that is really a soft shooter. This load is just for her to practice with and not to be used when she would be carrying it for real.

Thanks

John

I have shot the 158 grain LSWC bullets in 38SPCL with 4.0 grains of W231 for a velocity of 775 ft/sec from my 4" barreled revolver. This load is very mild recoiling and more accurate than most shooters including me. I think 4.4 grains of W231 over your 125 plated bullets would be a wonderful load for your daughter, as 231 is a very predictable and versatile powder. This load at 4.4 falls in the middle of the charge between Min and Max loads. Sorry that I can't give some hands on experience but I have never shot 125 grain bullets in the 38. If I have it has been too long to remember the specifics.

It has rubber grips on the gun and she love them, so if she likes them as well as she says I don't think I will be able to change her mind (hard headed like her daddy:rolleyes: )

I found a light load using Trail Boss powder, any of y'all tried that.

As far as the Clays powder load goes, I have that powder but have not found a load for the 125 gr bullets, does anyone know what a charge for that combo would be.

THANK EVERYONE FOR THE HELP SO FAR,

125 GR. CAST LRNFP Hodgdon Clays .358" 1.445" 2.5 810 8,400 CUP 3.5 978 16,900 CUP

125 GR. HDY XTP Hodgdon Clays .357" 1.455" 3.5 843 12,400 CUP 3.9 937 16,100 CUP

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.