Not another borescope post??

Ross1147

Ended up buying one of the teslong borescopes off Amazon. Really wanted to use it to see how much I'm missing in the barrels when I get done cleaning. Also bought some sweets 7.62 to hoping it works better than the Hoppe's I currently use.
First off 7.62 is amazing compared to Hoppe's. The amount of copper it pulled out already "clean barrels" was crazy. My proof 30 cal was nasty...so was my Bartlein 6.5...but the Brux 277 has barely any copper in it. Not sure if it's just a smoother barrel or the fact that it's really only seen Hammers but I was impressed.
Now to the ugly. I have a Ruger M77 MkII I purchased back in 99. It was my only rifle for hunting until 2017. I've killed squirrels, skunks, yotes, bobcats, hogs Black tail, white tail and Mulies. It's killed for me in the swaps of Florida all the way to the Big Horns in WY. In high school and college I ran nothing but 120 grn coreloks, then a couple hundred 117 Nosler BTs behind IMR 4350 and now I'm on my 4th box of Berger 115s. It's always been a ~1 MOA gun at best. Well back in 16 the accuracy fell way off? Never knew why, figured the barrel finally went south, so it's been in my safe since. How do y'all think this barrel looks??lol
8C1BDC6E-5FC8-4EA5-954C-2DF30FA6B10D.jpeg
DFE87F3F-4F84-4AF3-8DC2-CE5097D7ECAF.jpeg
A12DF6F0-DAC7-4421-A147-6727F7D793A0.jpeg
C418CF31-FDDC-442C-BCD4-ED21D6C6B646.jpeg
1A04DD1B-D595-494C-9D24-7B94F08CFBB2.jpeg

Looks dirty...clean it....its old..arthritis set in...
As nasty as it is...i would scrub it with JB's bore paste...then start fine cleaning the remnants.....too much major contaminants to start with just liquids.....

Pretty nasty fire cracking. I'd go at it with JB to see how it cleaned up and try new seating depth for sure. OR, put a new barrel on it.

I was thinking bore paste as well. Not sure it's going to help much though. It looks like pitting so bad there's actually lands missing?

I was thinking bore paste as well. Not sure it's going to help much though. It looks like pitting so bad there's actually lands missing?
You may be surprised by the improvement in your bore condition after using JB. You will have lands that retreat a good bit, but will most likely have to have a new seating depth for accuracy. A good idea is to use Berger's seating depth testing, if you are able to improve bore condition.

Just ordered some off Amazon. Will be here Saturday. I'm sure it has directions but assuming jag with patch and paste? I'd have to look at my notes but the rifle liked the Bergers with .002" jump. I'll probably start off there. I'm only pushing them at 2980 fps so not a hot load at all, but that's where the accuracy was...10 years ago...

I use a worn brush or one from next lower caliber, with a patch wrapped around it. For a tough job, I cut a patch of a maroon abrasive patch and split the thickness in half. Wrap it around the brush, I wrap a thread around it to secure and add a thin layer of JB.

Just ordered some off Amazon. Will be here Saturday. I'm sure it has directions but assuming jag with patch and paste? I'd have to look at my notes but the rifle liked the Bergers with .002" jump. I'll probably start off there. I'm only pushing them at 2980 fps so not a hot load at all, but that's where the accuracy was...10 years ago...

Use a nylon brush with an oversized patch (I used 3" squares for my .308 bore) wrapped around it. Put a good layer of JBs over the whole patch.

A lot of people swear by kroil for removing the carbon. I used PB Blaster penetrating oil because that's what I had on hand. I sprayed some gently onto the JBs.

Between 15 and 30 strokes (only counting one direction) may do it.

May take 3 or 4 applications up to 200 strokes or more. Patch it out clean after every 50. The hard black carbon near the throat will be the toughest. The rust pits themselves will not go away but look much better. The "raised corrosion" will most likely disappear.
Bet it still shoots after the JB workout!

I don't often recommend any abrasives but in this case you have nothing to lose. Personally I would lap the barrel to true everything up, try it and see if it helps It. It also looks like bore solvent was left in the barrel to long also. The JB will clean it but it wont be very controllable for consistency with some areas being different.

Ether way, go slow and check it often with the bore scope, and don't try to remove everything (Just clean it up) or you may finish off the barrel.

J E CUSTOM

Had to laugh at the title...seems like bore scope pics are as popular as poison ivy !! I wish there was a category just for bore pics, with an explanation of the reason for the condition. I learn a lot every time I read a post with pics and answers from the guy's here...rsbhunter

Does anyone else have an issue with the Teslong bore scope being too bright? I've tried several different settings of the mirror length on the head but I cannot figure out a way to deal with the brightness of the LED lights.
Am I missing something?

From what I have read, try using the actual Teslong App, it supposedly has an adjustable brightness control in addition to the control on the cable.....I haven't tried the app, might go download it now! rsbhunter

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.