Nosler polymer tips

loghome

I was thinking about stocking up on some polymer ballistic tips and accubond does anyone know what the shelf life of a polymer tip might be

I was thinking about stocking up on some polymer ballistic tips and accubond does anyone know what the shelf life of a polymer tip might be
I was about to make a joke about changing them out every year and selling your expired ones to me at half price, but I'm sure one or two guys on this website would have a full snowflake meltdown and make 20 posts about how much of a meanie I am, so I'll save the jokes.

I bought a large quantity of nosler ballistic tips about 15 years ago, and it'll take me a while to shoot them all off, but I'm not concerned. As long as you don't store them in searing heat, I can't see any reason why the plastic would deteriorate. When they first came out, I had a few become brittle and break from extreme cold, but I've never had that issue repeat in 20 years. I think you'll be fine.

I was about to make a joke about changing them out every year and selling your expired ones to me at half price, but I'm sure one or two guys on this website would have a full snowflake meltdown and make 20 posts about how much of a meanie I am, so I'll save the jokes.

Nothing wrong with some humor Sir

I think as long as they are stored in a conditioned area they should last indefinitely.

Great point. My bullets, brass, powder, primers, and ammo are stored in a cool and dry place with lots of Silica packets. The other day I opened one box of 150gr Ballistic Tips ans they look new, the copper tarnished at all.

Interesting question that I had not thought about despite stocking up on a lot lately of both Accubonds and BTs from SPS.
I tried a box of "Nosler Solid Base - Ballistic Tip" 140gr / 7mm in my 7RM back in 1991. They were accurate but the only one I shot at game pretty well blew apart on a close range mule deer shot, and I never used those again. It was a dramatic and instantaneous kill though the lungs but it acted like a varmint bullet on that mulie - no exit and just shrapnel inside. They're a lot tougher and better now, of course. So I just went and opened up the old box and the remaining ones look good as new. I tried to bend or scrape the tip and I can't tell it's changed a bit in the almost 30 years they've been in my stash (in the original box, in the climate controlled house, in both Nevada and Arizona).

Cheers,
Rex

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.