Northern Canada Moose Hunt

Hi Lerch,
There's lots of bush where you are going, it will probably be a close shot.
The weather is nice (for us)and country beautiful at this time. It has been raining on and off, but 20-C during the day and almost 0-C at night.
How are you getting to Buffalo Narrows?
If you are going through Prince Albert and want a heavier bullet, I will give some 200gr. accubonds. Your 150gr. should do the job, the moose will just stand there for a couple seconds unless he gets scared off from you shooting from 50m away.
If there is anything you need, just let me know.
TK

hey lerch
youll be so close, id use the 200gr round unless it shoots over 12 inches at 100 yards, wich i doubt. you could even load a 200grainer for first round in the boiler, and a 150gr for the second shot wherever you want it to go

Happy hunting!

Well tommorrow is the day. We leave Oklahoma at 7.00 A.M. and should arrive in Saskatoon a little after 12:00 noon. We are gonna stay the night there and drive to Buffalo Narrows the following day. From there we board a float plane and fly about 2 hrs north to God's country.

Thanks for all the kind words and hopefully in a week or two I will posting some pics of a big *** Canadian moose.

Take it easy
Steve

Buffalo Narrows: Issued 4.00 PM CST Friday 2 September 2005
Tonight Cloudy with 30 percent chance of showers. Risk of a thunderstorm overnight. Low 11. Saturday A mix of sun and cloud. High 20. UV index 4 or moderate. Sunday Sunny. Low 11. High 19. Monday Sunny. Low 7. High 17. Tuesday Sunny. Low 7. High 20.

Good luck on your hunt. The weather looks pretty good for now. I agree you'd be better served by a heavier bullet for Moose, like a 200gr. The 150 should work for broadside heart/lung shots.

Have a great trip and I hope you have some pictures to post when you get back of yourself with a large mature Canadian bull moose.

I am going to Alaska on my first ever moose hunt in a week. My good friend and I are staying with his brother/sister, and doing this DIY (no guide). I'm taking my 300WSM Sako Finnlight 180 Partition doing 2900. Anyone have any experience on the Kenai peninsula with moose?

I've killed a lot of deer, but nothing any bigger, so answer me this....WHAT IN THE WORLD WILL I DO WITH A 1500 POUND OVER-GROWN DEAD COW AFTER THE RUSH IS OVER? Any websites I can read about quartering, de-antlering, etc?

Any chance I can just lead it to the steps of a butcher shop before I pull the trigger?

be careful of that shoulder shot. I hit my Alaskan with a hot 250gr from my 338 winmag after the boiler maker shot and all it did was tear up meat. I would stay with the heart lung shot unless he is headed for open water.

Lafe, good luck I did the exact same thing for my hunt I was with 2 other guys after I shot my bull they decided that they weren't going to help me. WHAT A OVERWELMING SCENE THAT WAS. At first I was lost (and I have killed numerous big elk) then I just got to work. The big change for you is that you have to take the whole carcass out when i hunted you were allowed to debone the meat. Good luck and if I had it to do over again I would have left the other guys with me there for bear bait. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
There is a bull moose for every bend in the river so don't get yourself too far unless you have too. Oh and take a BIG saw. my small wyoming saw was a little on the small side needed the bigger one. If you need any info let me know
[email protected]

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.