Northern Canada Moose Hunt

lerch

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
I am leaving this saturday for a moose hunt in northern Saskatchewan for a 12 day hunt, 9 days in camp.

I have watched the success of meichal, dont think I spelled that right, and I am hoping for some success of my own.

I am going against the grain here and shooting a skinny barreled factory savage 300rum with factory Remington 150gr Scirocco's. I would have liked to have shot the 180gr bullets but the gun hated them, the 150 will shot about .75 average. I would have loved to have taken the 270 Allen Mag but we had to send in our serial #'s months ago to the airport and I didn't have the gun at that time.

I was planning on going for a high shoulder shot and trying to anchor the big animal on the spot but I think I am gonna reconsider. I have spoke with several people and watched tons of video of moose hunts and it always seems that everybody gets at least 2 shots.

My plan will be to send the first bullet into the lung heart area for a guaranteed eventual kill, and then I am gonna try to dump that SOB with shoulder snapper.

If anyone has any advice on anything I would love to hear it.

Thanks
Steve

Take this for what it's worth since I've never shot anything bigger than a 6 point bull elk, but…………….

If it was me the shot would probably be dictated by the animal's position and angle to you plus the terrain and brush or lack of brush.

A moose is a very big animal and will take a hit pretty well. Hit him through the lungs and he will probably move off although there's always the possibility he will just stand there. Either way you will probably have to make a follow up shot.

Hit him in the shoulder properly with the right bullet and you stand a chance of dropping him quickly or at least keeping him from having the mobility to move into the brush.

If he's in fairly open country then your lung shot would work, eventually, and you would have a good opportunity at a follow up shot but remember that your follow up shot may be on a moving animal. But I'd bet that with a lung shot you will have to make a follow up shot unless you just plan on watching him until he expires.

If it was me, and this is just my opinion, I'd go for the high shoulder, hump shot and try to anchor him or at least immobilize him in case a follow up was needed.

Whatever shot you take just don't "admire your shot". By that I mean make the shot and then immediately get ready for another if needed. I've seen too many people admire their shot, with the empty still in the chamber, and the gun lowered to their side, only to have the animal run off and they couldn't make the follow up shot. Then the fun begins.

Make a good shot and enjoy your trip Steve, I'm sure it will all turn out o.k. and you'll make the right decision. For what it's worth, just my $.02 worth………….

I am defninaltly planning on making a quick follow up shot.

i was really planning on going for the high shoulder shot initially but after talking to several guides and Richard Graves I think I am gonna first put one in the boiler maker.

I also think the 150gr bullet would not be my first preference for trying to break both shoulders of a animal this large. I have no doubt on the toughness of this bullet, but for both shoulders I would have wanted some of Richards 200 plus grain heavy jacket bullets.

The guide said our shots should be pretty close so we will see how much thump these factory RUM loads have.

Thanks
Stevve

It's a little late in the game to think about another bullet, so if it's gotta be the 150 Sciroccos, then go for the lungs. Even with a bonded bullet that's awfully light to think about the shoulders of a moose.

Properly placed through the lungs, they'll do the job and you'll be eating moose steaks in no time at all.

Have fun, be safe, and enjoy your trip and hunting experience.

I am gonna put the first round in the vitals, number two is gonna either break the front shoulder, doubt it would make it through to the far side shoulder blade, or it will shock the spine.

Either way he is gonna die from some vital wounds and he is gonna have a hard time walking after I am done with him. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Steve

Lerch,

For what its worth......

Did a young bull in a number of years ago. Don't know live weight. 4 qtrs hanging in butcher shop were right at 400#.

First shot took its heart out. Had no visible affect on the animal.

After while he fell down and then got back up. Next shot went through both shoulder blades and completely penetrated the animal. In fact so did the first shot.

Both shots were @ 60 yds. Cartridge was 270Win. Bullets were 130 Sierra spbts @ 3200 fps mv. Both shots were amazing. First one, that it took out the heart with zip/ziltch affect on the animal. Second one that that little pecker wood bullet would give complete penetration through both shoulder blades.

Good luck and just keep shotin' till its down.......

How short is short to the guide? The reason I ask is those light swifts don't hold together as well at those high velocities. I took a doe this year at 75 yards with 300 RUM 150's. The bullet hit a rib turned 80 degrees straight up and cut the spine backwards. the bullet was recovered base out right under the skin above the spine. You know how fast that 300 RUM is, if your shots are under 200 yards, go with the bullet that will work the best (keep it in minute of moose heart) unless you are going to blow his fool head off you dont need the &lt;1 MOA accuracy (sure its nice but are you risking more with a bullet that WAS NOT DESIGNED FOR MOOSE) I talked to Swift, they recomend 150's for deer, and 180 for Elk. Just for the record, I do use 180's on deer at long range &gt;300 yds and they work supperb because they have slowed down enough to function very well.

Lerch,

Good luck on your hunt. I am sure you wont be dissapointed. PLEASE let us know how it went when you return.

I think you have the right idea of putting a bullet in the heart lung area. Esspescialy with 150's. I used to think that moose were not tough and died very easy. For the most part they do. If you take a double lung shot they wont go more than 10-30 yards. If you try to "break em down" I think you will be dissapointed. I put two 200 grain accubonds through my last mooses shoulders and while his whole body shook and he reacted as if he were hit super hard, the only thing that could take him down was 2 more through the lungs. I made the mistake of trying to "anchor" him and it didnt turn out as expected. I have never seen a moose go very far after the double lung shot. Like you said, put one there first, then worry about anchoring him.

Let us know!!

Despite their size, moose are not particularly tough to put down. yes, all animals can run after being hit but moose are less likely or as far as compared to a whitetail/elk.

Put the bullet in the lungs. Let the animal fall over. It soon will if the lung/heart shot is proper. Discuss this with your guide as all will have different approaches.

hitting in the shoulder just wastes a lot of very delicious meat. Three legged moose travel almost as well as a four legged variety. A neck/head shot would be more to my liking for a second shot. Even another into the boiler room.

Of the "deer", the moose is the largest and easiest to put down, the whitetail is the smallest and most flighty.

However, let the moment make your decision. Just a Canuck opinion.

As to your load, I also agree that a bullet going that fast better be used in the boiler room unless far enough away to slow down under 2800fps. 2500fps better still. Trying to break bone may not work out as well on a really big donkey. You would have been better off with a heavier bullet and/or a slower combo.

Jerry

lerch,
i've killed a doz moose, all in Sask. and there are 2 things i can tell you about them.#1,they aren't very hard to kill.shoot em in the chest with anything and they're dead.they'll probably stay on their feet for a while,you can shoot em a few more times if you like,won't make any difference in fall down time.i've heard several indians say they just shoot em in the guts with a 22LR and come back in 3-4 hours and it's layin somewhere close by. #2, their head and top of neck is as big as a small deer.most of the moose i've killed i shot in the head.doesn't seem to matter what bullet/cartridge combo you're using,shoot em in the head,they're down!

Hi Lerch, where in Sask. are you going?
Just wondering since I live in Northern Sask.
There's a good chance your shot should be under 200yrds.
TK.

We fly out of Buffalo Narrows on a float plane to Lake Vermillion, or a lake near it. ANy tips on what the weather will be like????

Thanks
Steve

Lerch, Im with Jerry on this one. Ive shot more moose than Id care to carry out in a week. Go for the lungs. Way less meat damage and thats a pretty small bullet you got there so slow it down a tad or risk it blowing up and doing squat. Practicly every moose Ive shot I put it through both lungs and Ive yet to see a moose with both boilers gone go more than 20 or 30 yds. You hit the front shoulder and you might as well leave the whole front half in the bush. If you know you got a good shot through the lungs then either have a smoke and wait or if you feel like it put another through the toque right at the ear lobe.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.