Driving into Canada (BC) for a moose hunt

I didn't take time to read through all the threads, but one thing I know is that if you have any kind of history on your record they will turn you around. I know of a group last fall that drove up from Texas for an elk hunt. One guy was refused entry do to a DUII 21 years prior.
It's just plain ridiculous, he's a stand up guy,and not a threat to anyone in Canada.
I went last year also. They held me for nearly an hour also, just because I brought the maximum allowable cash with me. Then they told us to drive at least for 1 hour,and do not stop for any reason "or else".
No pee breaks whatsoever.

I didn't take time to read through all the threads, but one thing I know is that if you have any kind of history on your record they will turn you around. I know of a group last fall that drove up from Texas for an elk hunt. One guy was refused entry do to a DUII 21 years prior.
It's just plain ridiculous, he's a stand up guy,and not a threat to anyone in Canada.
I went last year also. They held me for nearly an hour also, just because I brought the maximum allowable cash with me. Then they told us to drive at least for 1 hour,and do not stop for any reason "or else".
Well looks like I'll skip on any trip then. I got a DUI in 1991. Which was definitely a sting. Which I won't go into. But I do remember even back when, I went to Canada they frowned on DUIs. One of the guys I went with had a few. I honestly think they left us in then, because I had just got out of the military. And we were only going fishing. I also remember even back then, they said no stopping. lol

Wow. I was in Detroit a couple of years ago (pre COVID), in a rental vehicle, and crossed the border just to buy some Cuban cigars. Coming back in CBP did ask why the quick turn around, showed them what I bought, and sent on my way.

Bring in a firearm into Canada, effective last week, involves an import permit, a PAL, and $25 fee per firearm.

We Canadians have the same problem coming from the US et al and require an import permit, which will not be issued, to bring our firearms home. Getting to the US is not an issue for us but coming home is.

All I can say to our US friends is good luck and for crying out load, do your homework again.

I've never needed an import permit brining my own guns back from the states. Only require a 6N1A form from the ATF. I've hunted Louisiana,Mississippi and Texas multiple times. U.S. customs and Canada customs have never even looked at my form or my guns. My friend shoots F open in the states almost every weekend and has never had a problem coming back into Canada or entering the U.S. I have needed an import permit when I've had guns built in the states.

I've never needed an import permit brining my own guns back from the states. Only require a 6N1A form from the ATF. I've hunted Louisiana,Mississippi and Texas multiple times. U.S. customs and Canada customs have never even looked at my form or my guns. My friend shoots F open in the states almost every weekend and has never had a problem coming back into Canada or entering the U.S. I have needed an import permit when I've had guns built in the states.
Me too, competitions in NY and PA.

This came into being last week. Check it out!

To be honest - all these issues with crossing the Canadian border to hunt, make me want to avoid all potential border crossing issues by hunting more here in the US.

I've hunted in Canada A LOT. I have always enjoyed the country and the hospitality shown to me by the Canadian people. Canadians in and out of the hunting industry have all been great. But border crossing issues can really dampen my enthusiasm for crossing in the near future.

BTW - the image in my avatar was taken in Newfoundland. It was a particularly lucky hunting trip where I took a beautiful bull moose on the second day and took this nice blackie on the third. Now that's something I'm unlikely to do here at home. 😁
I believe the Canadians may require all Moose must have a Covid 19 test within 72 hours before their remains may leave the country. I just had to take a Covid test before I can board my cruise to Alaska, with a several hour docking in a Canadian port on the last day. No test to submit to the Canadians, no boarding. PITA!

Proof of COVID-19 vaccine

You must have your covid vax card and neg test less than 72 hours before crossing over.

That ruled me out. I booked a bear hunting trip in Saskatchewan in 2020. Border. Opened up spring of 2022 with the Covid Vax mandate. I passed on the hunt.

On the other hand I have hunted Canada three times prior and have a DUI in Canada which is a felony. BP never brought it up but didn't turn me around.

Here is a link to the Canadian Border services webpage.
Looks like as a visitor you need the 589 permit with a $25 fee. That link will give you a better start on what you need to fill out on the Canadian side. Might be more on the firearms side once you are in, never really looked it up, since I am a Canadian.

I have lived in the area most of my life, I live in Fernie but just bought a house in Cranbrook move-in date in September, right in the middle of the elk rut.. hamstrung myself for this season a bit. Who are you hunting with?

Here is a link to the Canadian Border services webpage.
Looks like as a visitor you need the 589 permit with a $25 fee. That link will give you a better start on what you need to fill out on the Canadian side. Might be more on the firearms side once you are in, never really looked it up, since I am a Canadian.

I have lived in the area most of my life, I live in Fernie but just bought a house in Cranbrook move-in date in September, right in the middle of the elk rut.. hamstrung myself for this season a bit. Who are you hunting with?
Right on thanks! The hunts in Cranbrook, I'll double check on who the outfitter is and let you know. My family's friend booked the hunt for us. I feel extremely lucky to be able go and I'm trying to do as much leg work to make it as easy as possible for us to have a great hunt

The oddest thing I've noticed, after traveling back & forth to Canada over 25x, is that only once was I asked to open our fully enclosed 5'x8' trailer. They seemed more worried about the number of beers we transport across than most anything else. When I transported a 4 liter box of cheap wine across they had me pay a duty fee before asking me if I had any DUIs. And, of course, they knew the answer to that question before I even entered the building. Customs is a weird place.