Norrbottenspets Breeders in US

brcfo_outdoors

I know there are a lot of great hunting dogs out there, but I am really interested in the Norrbottenspets and have been looking for breeders in the US which are unfortunately few and far between. Contacted a breeder in Alaska who had posted a litter but they were already spoken for. The only other kennels I can find are in Canada and they seem to be more show oriented and less for hunting and as an outdoors companion, plus my passport has expired. I know they are a unique/niche breed (maybe a little too unique since I can't find any), but I was curious if anyone on here has any or knows anyone in the US who breeds them. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

u62AcOkxVvXuk0f7V1UgAqBL49C8dBS-o5-G4zOQGU7wzJmWh28GGTkO00BVIk0-6uO97ZBFb-5aqhU1MHzndY1uAAzua1tw2KembN72OxtQ68iQvwxlZs2njXslzYtwP1H1gs6uVA=w550

I know there are a lot of great hunting dogs out there, but I am really interested in the Norrbottenspets and have been looking for breeders in the US which are unfortunately few and far between. Contacted a breeder in Alaska who had posted a litter but they were already spoken for. The only other kennels I can find are in Canada and they seem to be more show oriented and less for hunting and as an outdoors companion, plus my passport has expired. I know they are a unique/niche breed (maybe a little too unique since I can't find any), but I was curious if anyone on here has any or knows anyone in the US who breeds them. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

u62AcOkxVvXuk0f7V1UgAqBL49C8dBS-o5-G4zOQGU7wzJmWh28GGTkO00BVIk0-6uO97ZBFb-5aqhU1MHzndY1uAAzua1tw2KembN72OxtQ68iQvwxlZs2njXslzYtwP1H1gs6uVA=w550
"If" the breeder(s) in Alaska meets your requirements, you might want to wait for their next litter or contact breeders directly from Sweden or Finland (can be pricey). I love the Nordic breeds; I have a Karelian Bear Dog and have a friend from Wisconsin (now lives in Minnesota) that went directly to Finland to start his stock for hunting black bear. Good luck!

Ed

"If" the breeder(s) in Alaska meets your requirements, you might want to wait for their next litter or contact breeders directly from Sweden or Finland (can be pricey). I love the Nordic breeds; I have a Karelian Bear Dog and have a friend from Wisconsin (now lives in Minnesota) that went directly to Finland to start his stock for hunting black bear. Good luck!

Ed

I am hoping the Alaskan breeder does have another litter, they have a couple of breeding pairs but don't appear to have a regular program. They have Karelians as well which seem to be more of their mainstay. Those are cool dogs, a few years ago I was trying to get a job with WDFW and they have a bear dog program which was my first exposure to them, and I would seriously consider one if I had more space for it.

I am hoping some more options pop up domestically, and want to exhaust every option here before looking overseas. I would imagine with social media, locating a breeder is probably less of a challenge than it was a few years ago.

I am hoping the Alaskan breeder does have another litter, they have a couple of breeding pairs but don't appear to have a regular program. They have Karelians as well which seem to be more of their mainstay. Those are cool dogs, a few years ago I was trying to get a job with WDFW and they have a bear dog program which was my first exposure to them, and I would seriously consider one if I had more space for it.

I am hoping some more options pop up domestically, and want to exhaust every option here before looking overseas. I would imagine with social media, locating a breeder is probably less of a challenge than it was a few years ago.
IIRC, WDFW's program started with Carrie Hunt of Wind River Institute (https://beardogs.org/)