Travel the US west coast in April?

ElwoodB

Dear LH members,

I am sorry that this is not a genuinely hunting-related topic. But I would be very interested in the input of our (Western) American LH members. Please feel free to ignore or delete this topic, should it bother you.

I will start a new job in July and will have all of April to do some travelling. I decided to visit North America once more (have been to Canada for 3 months), although the climate seems to be less than ideal this time of year.

I already sort of decided to hire a car and drive along the US West Coast from San Diego to Vancouver. What du you reckon - is it worth a trip?

What is there to do for an adventurous young guy in terms of outdoor, fishing, meeting people off the beaten track - in April!

I dont really fancy like mass-tourism and prefer to experience a country via its people rather than through a travel guide. Thats why I value the opinion of insiders yo much!

I am very grateful for any hints and suggestions as to favourite places, activities and people!

Thanks for your patience, any input is highly appreciated!

Cheers,

ElwoodB.

trips are always worth taking. If that is what you want to do then go for it. I always prefer hunting trips but if it is just to get out and see the world then that will be part of the world to see.

Has some family members made a similar trip a couple of years ago - they were totally impressed with the beautfy of the region and friendliness of the people they met. Famous for being a wonderful region to sightsee in.
Good luck and have a great trip!

One thing I have always wanted to do and it is now such a tourist thing I don't know if I would do it anymore, is to go and see the wahles at Baja. Some of them will still be there in April. It will be warm, nice beach, do a little swimming and a little fishing. Google on "Baja whales".

Go see the big pines trees (sequoia's)

This looks like fun?

Hi everyone,

thanks to your encouragement I finally made it to the US for the first time - and let me tell you something - I AM HAVING A BLAST!!! I am doing a roadtrip with a hunting buddy of mine and we are in San Francisco right now. Flew into San Diego (Sorry buffalobob, whales were all gone), saw the Grand Canyon, drove Hihghway #1 and Route 66, did some nice range shooting on an axceptional range in Arizona and now got 3 more weeks to go north to Vancouver.

Have been to Australia, Canada, and all of Europe before but never met so many nice and open-hearted, amiable people, thats for sure!!!

Now we are plannin gour next steps and any inside input from you guys would be greatly appreciated since our guide books only cover the standard tourist routes. Is there any hunting season at the moment? Any varminting going on? What are the prime places to go, people to see, things to do?

Thanks very much for your help folks - looking forward to any comment,

elwood.

P.S.: Pete, should you read this, send me your shopping list, and what about my PMII??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Elwood, you be carefull of the squaws.. PMII is in week 16.
jerky. stainless 30mm rings,
thats about it.. safe trip.. have fun..
Pete

Northern California digger squirrels are out. They are excellent varmints to shoot. Here in Oregon they haven't hatched out the young ones yet so they're not as many here. The drive up hwy 101 will offer the best views going north. I live in North Bend Oregon. Not much for varmints but lots of places to shoot. The sand dunes and the fishing is what we are known for. My grandparents emigrated here from Germany.

Hi Pete,

will look after those things - no worries! But only if you promise me that I will be rigged up alright for buck season the 1st if May!!! I have got some ammo to burn!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Hi Hired Gun,

thanks for your reply! Did you say North Bend? That place has been recommended to me by a couple of people - sounds like a fun place!

Anyway we thought about visiting Bend. Can you recommend a shooting range or a fishing outfitter? Maybe we can meet on a couple of beers and do something for the forums international network! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Cheers,

ElwoodB.

Sorry, I can't make the hook up. Bend is about 5 hours east of North Bend wich is right on the coast by Coos Bay. Bend is in central Oregon. It is home to Nosler bullets. They sell them in the pro shop right at the factory. It should be a must see on your trip. By the time you get here the sage rats should be starting to show up. They are a barrel of fun. Somebody on the board should have a hook up for you there.

After you leave Bend I would try to swing back to Interstate 5 and then swing by the Leupold factory in Portland. Then you can vouch for Leupold first hand to Pete. I heard he was a fan. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

don't they have a spring bear season in California?
I took one there in the Fall of 95.
leupold, ha, Elwwod is already a converted S&B fan.
Pete

Hey Hired Gun,

that just got Pete cookin alright! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Sorry, mixed all the "Bends" up. Thanks for the hints convcerning Nosler in Bend and Leupold in Portland. Would love to see how they make the loopys! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Anyway, we are in Crescent City at the moment and will be heading up North via the 101 shortly. If you care for a beer and some latest news from the homecountry of your grandparents - just shoot me an email!

Cheers buddy,

elwood.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.