Norma URP in 6.5 Creedmoor?

Cleveland48

Hey folks new to this sight, but not to reloading. I'm really wanting to try Norma URP powder in my 6.5 Creedmoor. It looks like it gets great velocity with 120-140 grain bullets. H4350 is hard to find and RL 17 has given me great results, but seems in suffers some in temp stability. How does the URP powder compare to these two in regards to temperature stability? Why we're at it how about H100V and superformance do with temp stability?

I use URP with great effect in four rifles. I have found it to be very consistent in my rifles making single digit SD with little change due to tempurature. I tried R17 and found it gave me great velocity, but not as stabile at tempurature extremes as URP. IMO, I would try each of the powders you mention and see what your rifle shoots the best with the lowest SD.

You may also want to look at Re 16. It is suppose to have good temp sensitivity (better than Re 15 and 17) and is providing some impressive velocity gains, with no pressure signs even when loaded close to max. I've recently found a small supply of H4350 but, I may try Re 16 since the 4350 has been so hard to find. I you try the Norma URP, let us know how it works.

Thanks guys, I forgot about RL16 I've read quite a bit on it and it does seem like a good alternative. I have about 1 1/2 pounds of H4350 left and 1/2 pound of RL17. One of the local stores has URP and RL powders always in stock pretty much. I'll grab some of both and give it a shot. I wish RL17 was more stable. It gave me better speeds and tighter groups than H4350.

MRP would work as well with 140 gr bullets, QL shows MRP and RL26 as possible options, I have quite a bit of URP and will use it for barrel break in and for fire forming my brass to my chamber. For lighter loads with the 140 - 147 gr I will try the URP and the H4350 to see what works best for me and RL26 and MRP for max loads for longer range, depending on how they shoot.

I am trying Superperformance, with some promising results. The accuracy has been better that H4350 or RL-17. I have not shot it across a chrono yet but Hornady shows it to be one of the fastest with a 140 bullet

I have thought about superformance, I know in the hornady manual it shows it produces a lot of speed. I've never used it before, but it seems like there is a good supply of it here locally

I think it is worth a try. I bought l lb some time ago and had it setting around before I found a cartridge to give it a try. As stated it worked well. Hornady shows it works great in the 300 WSM with 150 bullets. I plan on trying it in the 300 WSM sometime in the near future.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.