Norma Brass vs others

jakebrake

Ok guys new to this reloading but I have a question on brass.Now I happen to find a Norma case in my brass.Where it came from I cant say.But you can tell its different.Now is it really worth the money to buy top end brass.And wats the difference?

I cant speak for Norma but I get Lapua brass when Im able to...especially for calibers where loaded ammo isnt made.....6mmBR for example...and anything Im going to reload and keep forever and a day...such as my 22-250 where I have to fire form every round.

I also buy Rem and Win brass of course

Norma makes consistent brass but it is a little soft. Lapua and RWS are the best but are also spendy. You can get as good of accuracy with Rem., WW, and federal, but you have to be willing to do some extra sorting and case prep. Sorting by wt., flash hole deburring, neck turning, annealing, etc.
Nosler custom also is fairly consistent but a little more spendy and soft like Norma.......Rich

I recently switched over to Norma brass in my 7mm rem, and 25-06, and Lapua in my 22-250. I used to have good luck with Win brass, their quality has gone way down in recent bags I bought. Half the bag was garbage and the other half would have to be sorted. That doesn't leave you with much and becomes very expensive. The Norma (or Lapua too) is all usable and no sorting is needed. It actually works out to be cheaper if you are precision loading.

About 80% of the brass I buy is Lapua, but I have used Norma for years also. I cannot remember the life span of Norma, but I can get 25-50 loads thru Lapua in tight neck rifles. I think it is as good as Lapua and much better than the others.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.